View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

A Lemon Yellow Jasika Blazer

As soon as Closet Case Patterns released their Jasika Blazer Pattern I knew I wanted to make it. I really enjoy interspersing more straightforward projects with challenging ones. I want to keep tackling more difficult patterns which will enable me to learn new skills along the way and this definitely looked like it fitted the bill!

I wanted something that would be a spring/summer blazer and when I saw this lemon yellow Coating Fabric on the Minerva website I knew I’d found the right fabric - I love the brightness of the yellow against the white. The fabric is a cotton blend and has a bit of stretch to it – this isn’t strictly required for the Jasika Blazer but I thought it should work fine.

I also bought the video class for the blazer as I anticipated that I would need this extra help. I frequently find that when written instructions and diagrams leave me confused, a video can make it crystal clear. It was definitely worth it, Heather Lou’s explanations are great and the video footage is excellent.

This was by far, the most time consuming project I have taken on. But I would say that if you take your time, an advanced beginner could definitely tackle this as there really aren’t any tricky steps. The main thing is that you take your time and be accurate. I normally like to rush through a make; I love something that I can get through in an afternoon - this took me weeks! However, I did find that I really enjoyed the change, it was great to focus on precision and accuracy (though the number of times I had to unpick was getting frustrating!), and the results were amazing.

One of things that takes time is prepping the fabric – there are so many pieces when you take into account the main fabric, the lining, the interfacing and the horsehair canvas. Then there are two types of interfacing – and I made the mistake of ironing mine to the wrong pieces! Fortunately Heather Lou mentions that this can happen and I checked just in time, luckily I had enough fabric left to cut out new pieces.

I started off by making a toile and then used this to work out what adjustments I would need. I have no idea if I did this correctly, I just made it up according to what made sense to me.

I had marked the bust point and the waist line on my toile and could see that they were both too low. So I took 18mm out just above the bust line and12 mm just above the waist line. I also took 18mm out below the waist line in order to raise the hemline. I had already shortened the sleeves by 5cm (across the middle) before making the toile but they were still a little too long so I took out another 2cm. I then had to apply these alterations to all of the pattern and lining pieces (again, time consuming!). I didn’t bother to make another toile, I just kept my fingers crossed that it would all work out ok.

I am so pleased that I took the plunge and made this. It’s easy to put patterns that seem difficult to one side, telling yourself that you’re not ready yet. But this showed me that actually there wasn’t anything I couldn’t do, I just had to take my time.

I learnt so much making this jacket and fell in love with both steaming and hand sewing (not things I normally do). When I finished the blazer I was so proud of myself, I really felt like a sewing superstar!

Ciao,

Linda

www.ciaolinda.com

@linda_hinds

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment