A Linen Jennifer Lauren Mayberry Dress
Posted in Projects on Friday the 15th March 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
Hello! I am so excited to share my first make for the Minerva Crafts blog with you - a linen Jennifer Lauren Mayberry dress! This dress has an asymmetrical button down bodice with darts and a drawstring waist. There are 3 sleeve length options but I opted for the 3/4 sleeves which I thought would be great for spring. And of course the best part... it has pockets!
I bought this pattern several months ago but I really wasn’t sure what fabric I wanted to use. I liked the idea of something with a little bit of structure but still some drape. When I saw this textured Linen Fabric
, I knew it would be perfect! There were so many colors to choose from but I decided on the color Stone. Stone is a light grey and a great neutral. I was really excited when it arrived. This fabric is so beautiful! It’s soft, drapes well and was easy to work with! Sometimes linen can be a little sheer but this was not. I didn’t have to worry about lining the dress or wearing a slip.
I am a big fan of linen. I made several garments last summer and they were extremely comfortable to wear in the warmer weather. I can imagine a whole range of garments in this fabric. I think it would make some really great culottes or trousers!
I wanted a solid dress but I also felt like the dress was a little plain or missing something. I had a lightbulb moment when I realized it would be so fun to cover the buttons and make the drawstring out of a floral fabric. I also made the facing floral because I love when the inside of a garment has a happy surprise. It was such a great way to use up some scraps. I thought about doing the pockets as well but decided against it.
The dress came together easily. I took extra care when sewing the curves of the facing because I wanted the neckline to look very crisp and neat. The only part of sewing the dress I had any issue with was creating the drawstring casing. It was a method I had never used. The skirt seam allowance is trimmed down and the bodice seam allowance is finished and topstitched down. It was a little tricky to keep the stitching straight and make sure I was catching the bodice seam allowance but I’m pretty happy with the end result. Plus, any little imperfections aren’t even noticeable once the drawstring is pulled!
The Mayberry dress has a lot of size options with A, B, C and D cup options. My measurements fall in between two sizes so I cut out my regular cup size and the larger of the two measurements. I probably should have graded it between the two but the fit doesn’t bother me. It’s so comfortable!
I am completely thrilled with how this dress turned out. It’s such a great dress to wear in the lovely spring weather! Thank you so much for reading. I can’t wait to share what I’m making next!