View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

A Needlecord Pinafore Dress with Joanne from 60 Degrees of Inspiration

Hello everyone,

Im Joanne from 60 Degrees of Inspiration and this is my first review for Minerva Crafts, I was very excited about receiving lovely #fabricpost and using it to make something just for me.

I requested the brown colourway in this leaf print stretch Needlecord Fabric. The fabric also comes in burnt orange, green and olive green. It is an absolute bargain at £1.99 per mt.

When the fabric arrived it had a larger print than I expected (I am awful at visualising sizes). This resulted in it being bolder and less busy than it could have been. It is a lovely soft cord with a good amount of stretch. My initial plan had been to make the staple shift dress with large pockets, however when sorting through my patterns I found the Freja dress which was perfect for this weight of fabric.

The Autumnal hues of the fabric are warm and rich and I loved the rusty red. The lines on top of the fabric look like they have been embroidered despite being printed and add an extra depth and texture.

It washes really well and didn't appear to shrink much on the pre-wash. I washed it on a 40 degree wash and left it to dry. I was very easy to iron which was great. I would obviously still advise doing a prewash just to be on the safe side. 

There was something about the fabric that made me want to make something practical and with pockets. There are a lot of pinafore/dungaree dresses about but I wanted something that was not too bulky on the waist and had no gather - both the pattern and the fabric allowed quite a smooth finish even on the waistband. This is in part due to it being the right weight to hang well without being too thick.

I decided to line the pockets with a little bit of leftover burgundy cord as I liked the contrast.

The fabric was really nice to work with and any concerns I had over the stretch were soon dispelled. Because of the stretch and the cord texture it was important to consider the direction of the fabric when laying out pattern pieces.

I used a contrast thread for the top stitching and it seemed to work really well, I also used some burgundy bias binding to hem it which tied in with the pockets. I have to confess this was my first button hole - I had avoided them and used buttons for decoration for a while so I was ready for the challenge. It was actually very straight forward and I covered my own buttons using another scrap of burgundy cord.

The dress went really well with my boots but could equally have been worn with a pair of dolly shoes. On my first outing I got some lovely comments about the colour of the fabric. It would be a good dress to wear in the Autumn / Winter with a jumper underneath it as the cord would allow it to hold its shape on top. 

It would be a perfect fabric to make a long panelled skirt or even a mini skirt with. I have some left over which I might make into a tote bag and embellish with a large flower.

Joanne Riley @ 60 Degrees of Inspiration

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment