View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

A Stylish Saraste Shirt

Hello makers! It’s great to be back here on the Minerva blog today. I’m so excited to share with you what I’ve been sewing. I’ve chosen to make the Saraste Shirt from the ‘Breaking the Pattern’ book by Named.

For those unfamiliar with the book, it contains patterns for twenty garments that you can mix, match and adapt to create your own coherent capsule wardrobe. I’ve previously made the Ruska knot dress and the Saraste top but I’ve been wanting to make the shirt since I first got my hands on the book. You can’t really go wrong with a classic shirt, you can dress them up or down, and this pattern has details that just give it a twist to make it more interesting and modern.

I knew when I saw the pattern that I wanted to make it up in a plain fabric in order to show off the design details. There’s a really nice crisp white version in the book but I felt that black would work well and is a bit more “me”, so when I saw this black Shirting Fabric it was just what I had in mind. I was really happy with it when it arrived. It washed well and isn’t rigid at all. It’s quite soft and comfortable to wear and has a very subtle ribbed texture to it which I’ve tried hard to capture in the photos. It turns out photographing black fabric is really tricky!

I made a size 3 which is a UK 10 but I added in a 1” FBA in total. I took the finished garment measurements into consideration when choosing my size and it is a slightly closer fit than the pattern intends but that was my choice. I’m really happy with the fit of this shirt. I avoided wearing shirts for years because they never fit me very well due to my larger bust. It’s been a joy learning to sew garments that actually fit my shape!

Whilst not difficult, the construction of the shirt is a bit more involved than some patterns. There are a lot of steps and a fair few pattern pieces but it’s a straightforward process if you follow the very detailed instructions in the book. Saying that, I did have a rather headscratching moment when attaching the yoke, but I just don’t think my head was playing ball that day! Anyway, I got there in the end and I just love the vent details on the shoulders and lower sleeve.

I chose to use more buttons than the pattern advises but I really didn’t want any gaping issues and I quite like the look of lots of small buttons. There are two on each sleeve cuff so I used sixteen in total.

I’m really happy with this shirt and I’m sure it will get a lot of wear. I’m looking forward to trying out some of the other patterns in the book and creating a bit of a collection of pieces that I can wear together.

Until next time makers!

Kathryn @oh_sew_kaddis

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment