Blue Stripe Linen Matching Set
Posted in Projects on Thursday the 5th September 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
Matching set, co-ord, faux dress - whatever you call them, I’m obsessed. I love making and wearing dresses, but I’ve found I need a bit more versatility in my wardrobe and matching sets are such great building blocks. I’m so happy with this co-ord set! My top and skirt set look cute together, but I think I’m even more likely to mix and match them with other pieces in my wardrobe.
I’ve been planning to make a matching set for a while now, but I didn’t have the right fabric in my stash. Enter Lady McElroy Stripe Pure Linen. It’s perfect! I paired this fabric with the new Pattern Scout Hana Tank and the recently updated Justine Skirt by Ready to Sew for a lovely, versatile co-ord set.
This fabric! I cannot gush enough. It’s crisp but drapey, airy but opaque. It sewed up so easily and it’s really comfortable to wear. I love the slightly slubby texture. I’m also really impressed with the color saturation. From a distance, the thin white stripe gives the illusion of a softer, lighter blue. Up close, the blue is so vibrant and deep. This is my favorite fabric I’ve worked with all year. It was great for this project, but is also just so wonderful to wear.
The Hana Tank by Pattern Scout is a beautifully drafted tank and dress with several options. For this project I chose the cropped tie front version. I love that the tie allows some variation with the length. I can tie it low and loose to wear with my not-quite-high-waisted jeans or tie it high and tight to wear with high waisted skirts. I had planned to add darts for a little more shaping around the waist, but I ended up liking the fit and leaving it as drafted with only the bust darts for shaping. I love the way this pattern is finished. The inside is so neat with french seams and a bias bound neckline. My only struggle was hemming the deep curves and points of the tie. Next time, I think I’ll use bias binding there as well.
I’m so happy to have finally made the Ready to Sew Justine Skirt! It’s a free pattern that’s been on my list for ages. It’s an easy gathered-waist, button-front skirt. The feature patch pockets are both beautiful and functional. I love the simple, yet clever design. I made this project harder on myself than it needed to be. I should have followed the rule: Don’t try to hack a pattern before making the pattern as drafted. If I had made it before trying to change it, I would have known that the linen would be too voluminous for the elasticated back. After failing and fumbling, I gave up on the elastic and went back to the original design, only to learn that I needed to remove a ton of fabric from the back anyway. Because the skirt is simply large rectangles gathered into the waistband, the linen took on a lot of volume, which, while lovely for a vintage fit-and-flare style, wasn’t what I was hoping to create. It was a bumpy road getting there, but I’m really happy with the finished skirt!
The Make Breakdown
Fabric and Notions: 3 meters Lady McElroy Stripe pure linen; 13 fourteen millimeter buttons
Patterns: Pattern Scout Hana Tank + Ready To Sew Justine Skirt
Size: Tank-16C; Skirt-44
Difficulty: Advanced Beginner
Design Modifications: Removed 30 cm from back skirt for less fullness
Fit Alterations: Removed 2cm from armhole to bust dart of tank
Future Plans: Yes! I really want to try this set in a drapier fabric like a viscose or crepe.
I’m so happy to have these pieces in my closet. I love the options of wearing them together and mixing them up with other items in my wardrobe, especially since the fabric is so divine! Thanks for reading and happy sewing!
Please signin to leave a comment