View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Get Spotted!

Hi, it’s Karolina from tintofmint.com I’m super excited to be working with Minerva Crafts for the first time! Time to introduce myself a little bit ( the boring part ). I’m originally from Poland and I moved to the UK 5 years ago to study. I graduated from Salford University and Manchester Metropolitan University with Bachelor Degree in Fashion Design. At the moment I’m working as Model & E-commerce Assistant in Fashion Company here in Manchester. I’ve created my blog purely to show my DIY projects which now turned into the spinning wheel of Sewing, Fashion & Travel website. Enough about me! Let’s talk about the most interesting part!
Let’s start from inspiration for this project. I must say I was highly influenced by Pinterest. I can make the miles scrolling thought that app with my thumb! I saw a few summery dresses and I combined what I like the most into one drawing and that’s how it started. Before I do anything I have to see the visual representation of what I’m making ( it’s just the way I work). In my sketchbook, I draw multiple variations of this dress ( midi/ mini/ long sleeves/ balloon sleeves/ open back all sorts of stuff ). Finally, I decided to make tie front skater dress.
To make a pattern I used a basic bodice block by W. Aldrich which I draw myself while I was at Uni ( Yes, I still got all my work from Uni and some stuff can be really useful! ) I traced the basic bodice block onto paper and started to draw wanted shape of my dress from the sketches. After a while, I had all my pattern pieces ready ( skirt front, skirt back, bodice front x2, bodice back, waistband, sleeves x2)
Then I lay out my pattern pieces on calico fabric and started to make a toile. This is a next thing I got from Uni. Before we could make our final project we had to “test” our pattern. I really love doing it because there is nothing more frustrating than wrong measurements or missing pieces in the middle of sewing, especially when you work on the pattern you’ve made yourself.
When I finished my toile I realized the tie panels were too long and the excess fabric was just hanging and looked unflattering. I adjusted my pattern and called it my final. This was the process which takes the most time for me. Next step was to cut out all the pieces from polka dot Crepe Fabric and join all the pieces together ( Easy! Cause I’ve already known everything from my toile) It took me approximately half a day to finish that dress and I’m super pleased with how it turned out.
My dress featured Frill short sleeves, A-line skirt shape, Tie Front Bust. I’m so in love with this dress and I feel like it would be a great shape to go for a picnic, beach or even cocktails with friends.
I hope you liked my first post here! Let me know what do you think, I would love to hear your opinion! I shall see you next month with the next cool project! Looking forward to it! You can follow all of my makes at tintofmint.com
Love xx
Karolina

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment