View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Herringbone La Paz Jacket in Ponte de Roma

Hi there, its Carol here back on the blog today, just chatting and stitching again!

This time, I’ve been making a lovely new blazer!

I’m going to start this post by saying, I love making fancy garments. But there are only so many occasions when I can wear them. Then I’m left with the same boring ready to wear garments for work.

So, this is going to be a great staple for my work wardrobe.

I’ve had the La Paz jacket from Itch to Stitch on my radar for a while, and as its designed for a light to medium weight Ponte so when I saw this lovely Herringbone Fabric, I really wanted to give it a go. Its listed on the Minerva website as Medium weight, although I would say it’s on the lighter side of medium. But, at 62 inches wide and £5.99 a metre I think this is an absolute bargain!

I did pre-wash this at 30 degrees although as it was going to be a jacket, I’m not sure it was actually necessary. But, well you never know, I could spill something on it and then I will be grateful that I took the trouble.

So, what about this pattern?

The La Paz is basically an unlined, two buttoned blazer with a two-piece sleeve and a vent at the back.

I really wanted to try this for two reasons, and here’s the truth. Although I’ve been sewing forever, I’ve never made a welt pocket or done Hong Kong binding, there I said it!

The pattern is very adaptable, being available in sizes 00-20 and cup size A all the way to DD I used the size 12 D cup version and also graded out at the hip to size 18 to fit my figure.

The welt pockets were actually not as hard as I had imagined and I must say I’m really very pleased with the outcome, as they were always my nemesis. I’ve avoided them for years!

The fabric was very soft after laundering, and I used knit interfacing and satin bias binding which definitely gave a little more structure for the jacket. I think the fabric is lovely and would be very well suited to many garments, such as skirts, dresses and tops.

I could see myself making a matching pencil skirt or Tilly and the Buttons Freya dress and turning this into a lovely comfortable suit for work.

Although it’s an unlined jacket there is a back stay which will help it to keep its shape. So, I used up a scrap of lining fabric, which I had left over from a previous make.

As it was in a green and red paisley pattern, I chose a lovely dark green satin bias binding. I actually used 12 metres of bias for the Hong Kong binding on the seams as the jacket has both front and back princess seams. I’m sure you can understand this took me quite a long time.

All in all, I am very proud of my new Blazer and after making successful double welt pockets and Hong Kong bindings I am very pleased with the finish of the jacket.

I do think the Ponte was very beginner friendly but if you are not so experienced chose a simpler make as this was a labour of love.

That’s all for now thanks for reading, keep chatting and stitching till next time, Carol x

@chatterstitch

Comment (1)

Please signin to leave a comment

Meg An said:

It's really lovely · 19th May 2019 09:16pm