View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Kielo Wrap Dress with Contrast Yoke

Hello everyone, I’m Kealy from Voice of a Creative. This time for my Minerva Makers blog post I chose this fabulous bird and floral print jersey.

I chose this Cotton Jersey Fabric, which is available with 4 different coloured backgrounds including grey, jeans blue, mint green and pink. I decided to go for the jeans blue colour wave. The fabric itself has a beautiful pattern with brightly colours flowers, leaves and birds. The composition of the fabric is 65% polyester, 30% cotton and 5% elastane. The fabric is a medium weight fabric which is lovely and soft, it also has good drape.

I was unsure of what to make when I received the fabric, as I wanted to choose a pattern which really showcased the fabric. Also, the fabric only stretches crossways so I wanted to make something which allowed for this.

I decided to make the Kielo Wrap Dress by Named. I love the versions of this pattern I have seen and have wanted to make one for a while. I like the concept of creating one dress, that can be worn in many different ways.

When I laid out the pattern I found I didn’t have quite enough fabric to make the length I wanted so I decided to add a contrast yoke to the back of the dress. I looked through my fabric collection to find a fabric which would go with the main fabric. I chose a green viscose jersey which matched with the colour of the leaves. To create the back yoke I placed the paper pattern piece on the fold, cut the neck and shoulders before folding the pattern piece to create a straight line across the back.

I also cut a neckband and two arm band pieces out of the contrast fabric. As I would use these to finish the neckline and arm holes.

The only fit adjustment I had to make was to shorten the waist of the dress, I adjusted this by 2 inches, which brought the ties up to my waist. Otherwise I worried that the dress would look quite bulky around my hips, I was really glad I made this adjustment and might even need to shorten it a little more the next time I make the dress.

I decided to adjust the dress to be a shorter length, inspired by other versions I have seen. To do this I laid the pattern piece along the fold of the fabric and then folded the pattern piece up along the hip line. Measuring the same on the front and back pattern pieces, I took it up by about 8 inches.

In the instructions it suggests you fold over the neck line and stitch along, however I wanted to bring the contrast fabric as a detail to the front of the dress. Therefore, I decided to add a neckband to finish the neckline.

To create the neck band I measured the neckline, then calculated 85%. Before stitching the shortest sides together and then folding in half length ways before attaching to the neckline.

I did the same for the armbands. In this make I just attached the arm bands without considering the seam allowance and position against my arm. However, I should have cut into the seam allowance a little as the arm bands are slightly tighter around my arm than I would like.

The fabric was easy to work with and looks awesome in the final dress. I love the detail of the pattern on the fabric and am so glad I chose to make this dress. I will get so much wear out of this dress during this summer.

Thanks for reading,

Kealy @ Voice of a Creative

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment