View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Lurex Fur Fabric Jacket by Diane

Although I’ve just made a jacket, I fell in love with the Fabric on offer to review for Minerva, which is often the way with me, and I decided I needed another!

I loved this ex-designer textured velvet lurex Fur Fabric when it was offered for product testing.  It's very expensive looking and has a hint of bling in it provided by the lurex thread woven into it.  Originally it retailed at over £40 per metre and I could quite believe that. You can still find it on the Minerva website at a very reasonable discounted price in both the aubergine colourway and a lighter champagne colour.

The fabric reminds me of astrakhan as it is richly textured with depth to the fur pile. It is made extra special by the shots of lurex throughout. In particular, it reminds me of a coat that my favourite aunty used to have - you can read more about her, Ellen Margaret Amor, on my blog at margueritedesigns.blogspot.co.uk. With that in mind, I wanted to make a jacket. I had two metres of fabric in aubergine to work with and found this McCall's Sewing Pattern using exactly that amount. It's labelled as Learn to Sew and I found it to be exactly that level, as there are minimal pattern pieces which are easy to construct with clear instructions. 

The pattern is the ideal partner for this fabric because it is basic and simple and doesn't compete with the rich texture and sparkle in the fabric. The sleeves and body are made all in one - just one piece for the back, two for the front and then the hood which attaches as a separate piece. 

The jacket is lined and I chose to use a rich brown coloured felt, as the matt flat texture provided a nice plain contrast for the showy astrakhan effect. 

I also decided to include an inner layer of thick interfacing to give some extra warmth. 

Once I'd cut all my fabric pieces, I just had to sew the 2 sleeve/shoulder seams and the 2 side/underarm seams which was quick and easy. A double line of stitching under the arms gives some extra strength. Curves in the sleeve/side seams are clipped and trimmed. 

The hood is then finally attached. The lining is sewn up in exactly the same way as the outer coat. The lining is then attached to the outer with one continuous long seam all around the front edges, around the hood and the back lower edge. A gap is left in the back for turning the jacket out to the right side. The gap is then closed with hand stitching. Last of all, the armhole seams are stitched by hand. As felt doesn't fray, this was easy to do by turning under the astrakhan type fabric and then catch stitching the felt fabric over the top. 

That then was it.  There are optional patch pockets to sew on but I didn't want to spoil the effect of the fabric by including these on the front.  The most difficult aspect of this project was making sure to line up the pattern correctly so that the centre back married up with the line of the fabric and the same for the front and hood. 

Although the jacket has been photographed in sunshine, it's still chilly out and it's a nice cover up with a bit of bling for this time of year. Glad I gave it a go :-). 

Thanks for reading,

Diane @ margueritedesigns

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment