Marrakesh Cotton Upton Dress
Posted in Projects on Tuesday the 15th September 2020 by Vicki Ormerod
Hi, it's Diana and I'm back with another fabric review! Lately I've been taking a little extra time with my projects because I've transitioned into a new position at work and I lost my sewjo for a few weeks. One thing you should know about me is that I've only been sewing for two and a half years so I'm no expert but I'd like to inspire anyone who has recently started and encourage them to continue on their journey. I love sewing and I'd love to have perfectly fitting garments in the future but for now I'm focused on making things I like and improving my skills.
We are entering our Spring season in California so a light dress is a perfect addition to my handmade wardrobe. I chose the 100% Cotton Spotty Fabric
in red which is absolutely perfect for the Cashmerette Upton Dress
. I used three meters of the fabric to make a size 20 (C cup), although I did have to pull some magic tricks to squeeze out the pockets. Keep in mind that the bodice is also lined and you have the option of adding sleeves with the sleeve expansion option.
Here are the fabric details:
- woven, non stretch
- 100 % Cotton
- Width is approx. 58.8"
- 4 color options
Don't forget to check out the care instructions when preparing your fabric for your project. I prewashed my fabric as soon as I got it in the mail and then pressed it. What makes my sewing time more enjoyable is when your fabric is of good quality and easy to work with. You'll be touching, pressing, seam ripping your fabric a lot so of course you want good quality fabric. I chose to finish my seams with a zig zag stitch instead of my serger and there wasn't very much fraying.
I purchased the paper pattern but if I had to go back, I would buy the pdf version. When I received the paper pattern I had a freak out moment because I've always had trouble with the paper patterns so I thought my project was doomed. I put off the project for a week and then I finally worked up the courage to start the project. I will say that if I would have known the pattern had so many darts and there is a little bit of hand sewing involved, I wouldn't have taken on this project. No regrets here, though. Sometimes you just have to go for it and I'm the type who doesn't make many muslins, which isn't always the best idea but I try to learn and improve. I made a quick muslin for the bodice to make sure it would fit okay and it did.
If you choose to get the sleeve expansion, pay extra attention to the bodice construction because it defers depending on what sleeves you're making. On every step of the way, I tried on my dress making sure things were fitting okay but the problem is that I am only looking at the front . I never saw the finished dress from the back until my husband took my photos and I realized I needed some adjustments for a good fit on my back. I am a bit disappointed that I didn't think to take photos of the back as I went along but this is a lesson learned. I am very satisfied that the waistband matches up. I still need to work on my invisible zipper skills as the zipper is not so invisible....oopsies!
Lastly, I'll talk about the sleeves. I chose the tie sleeve option. Since the bodice is lined, the only way to have a clean look is to slipstitch the sleeves....at that point I wanted to give up because I had no idea how to slipstitch . Do not fear, there is always google or a YouTube video that can help you.
My stitching is a bit sloppy and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the fit issue I have on one shoulder.... I have noticed my clothes hang differently on my shoulders so maybe this is a fitting "issue" I have to explore. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with my red dress!! Since the pattern has two views with varying neck lines and skirt options, a cotton fabric is perfect for this pattern. Be sure to check out the other color options in this cotton fabric. Have fun sewing!
Thanks for reading,