McCall’s 7726 In Navy Cotton Drill
Posted in Projects on Monday the 14th October 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
A perfect pair of high waist pants has been on my sewing to-do list for a long time. Like many, my proportions are not standard and I struggle to find something that fits both my waist and hips. For this reason, I’ve been a little intimidated by pants, and while I have loads of great patterns saved for future use, I have not attempted many to date – but I’m really, really glad I tried McCall’s 7726, as I may have found my perfect pair of pants.
When I saw Minerva's Cotton Drill Fabric in navy, I decided this was the nudge I needed to make McCall’s m7726. I’ve seen a lot of fantastic versions of this pattern, and am a big fan of its casual but elevated look. I decided to make view B with the belt carriers and sash.
I was really excited to receive the navy drill. Navy is a staple colour in my wardrobe, so I knew it would work with the clothes I already own. The fabric itself is great for pants – it’s medium-heavy and feels very sturdy, but still very soft and pliable.
The drill is really wide (58inches) and I used 2.1m for the pants and sash, with very little leftover. I cut out a straight size 14 and did not make a muslin. A little risky I know, but I felt confident that the pleats would give me leeway to alter the pants.
The pattern was really easy to make, and the directions easy to follow. The only step I was confused by was the zip insertion – it wasn’t a method I had used before, and I don’t have a lot of experience inserting zippers in pants. The pattern instructs you to tack the crotch together, and from this point I was confused. My go-to method if I get stuck on a pattern is to search for reviews and tutorials online. I was glad to find a fantastic video tutorial by Brittany Jones, which showed exactly how to interpret the instructions. Brittany steps you through the whole project (though I only followed it for the zip insertion) and I really recommend anyone making these pants to check it out. Thank you, Brittany – you saved my zipper!
A standard adjustment I need to make to pants is to bring the waist in. I didn’t bother with any pattern alterations – instead, I waited until the pants were pieced together, and increased the pleats. After pinning the pleats together as marked and trying the pants on (in hindsight I don’t know if I recommend this – tacking may be less painful), I determined how much more I would take the waist in. I ended up adding an extra ¼ to each pleat, taking the waist in, 2 inches total.
I’m really, really happy with how the pants have turned out. The fabric looks very sleek, and I think it’s a perfect match for the pattern. They are a dream to wear – although they are fitted, they are incredibly comfortable and aren’t restrictive to move in.
I’ve paired it with a t-shirt for a more relaxed look, but the fabric and pattern structure means they are really versatile. I plan to take these from casual weekends to work in the office. I’m excited to make many more pairs of these – relaxed in linen, bright in a bold print, an 80’s throwback in denim – the list goes on.
Thanks for reading,
Please signin to leave a comment