Posted in Projects on Sunday the 1st September 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
I’m beyond excited to share my first Minerva make with you. My name is Patricia Priest, and I manage a blog called Sewsanity which I started in 2017 to keep myself accountable to a personal challenge: one new make a week for a year. I did it AND it showed me how quickly skills can improve with dedication.
I find garment construction fascinating, and drive my husband nuts after he buys clothes by analyzing how it was put together. Can anyone else relate?
I saw this Chiffon Fabric and immediately had visions of a romantic summer dress, something that might even have inspired Jane Austen’s next character. So, I popped on Pride and Prejudice for inspiration, of course, and began working.
The fabric was washed and ready so I started to sketch my make to see if the vision in my mind was going to translate. Recently, I saw this neat idea of cutting out the outline of the dress and placing it over the fabric. It turned out to be a clever and fun way to see my vision, and after I saw the fabric in the dress outline, I knew the two were meant to be!
This fabric itself is flowy and timeless. It’s also pretty sheer so I paired it with a white lining fabric, which set off the colors beautifully while also allowing me to hide all my seams.
I’ve made items before out of sheer fabrics like this one. In my experience, the seams usually show easily though the fabric. I really wanted my seams to not show for this project, so I did an extra layer of lining in the bust. I basted the flower fabric to the lining so that all the seams would be nicely tucked out of sight. It worked perfectly. Well, actually, it worked perfectly once I switched to my walking foot since the fabric is very mobile.
The McCall’s pattern I used was M7566 and I highly recommend it since view B only has four pattern pieces! I’ve recently made several makes that have 14-18 pattern pieces so this project was a dream. It looks fancy, expensive, and classy, and it wasn’t an enormous task to make. The front and back of the bodice have darts and the skirt is a gathered skirt. The pattern calls for a seam down the front of the skirt but I didn’t want an extra seam so I put the pattern piece on the fold and omitted the seam. I didn’t adjust out the “extra” fabric that would have gone into the seam allowance which allowed the skirt to be a little more gathered. Also, I’m pretty tall so I added two inches to the length but that’s the only other adjustment I made to this pattern.
What a great summer dress, and so fun to make. Until next time, happy sewing friends!
Please signin to leave a comment