View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

New Look 6557 Batik Dress

I was really thrilled to be asked recently by Minerva Crafts to try out their hand printed Indian Batik Fabric. I chose the red orange shade which is a really lovely shade of raspberry red and apricot orange.  Before the fabric arrived I had time to think about what I would like to make with it. I decided that I would like to make a sun dress with a fitted bodice and a full skirt which would show off the fabric beautifully. When the fabric arrived I was really impressed with the feel and drape of it. I would say it’s somewhere between a cotton poplin and a cotton lawn so absolutely perfect for a sun dress.

The pattern I chose was New Look 6557 which I have not made before.  I have had this pattern in my stash for a while and I thought it would be perfect for this fabric. I decided to make version B which has a wrap over v-neck and and fixed shoulder straps. I cut out a straight size 12 from the pattern. Although I did make a wearable toile first to check the fit first before I cut into the batik fabric. The notions you need are some light weight fusible interfacing and an invisible zip.

The pattern says it is easy which I would agree with. As long as you know how to put in a zip I think anyone would be able to make this dress. You begin by making up the bodice which is really simple to do. When you cut out the front bodice pieces you also cut out 2 extra pieces of matching fabric to line the front bodice. This gives a lovely clean finish with no need for facings. The only facings for this pattern are for the back bodice which you apply light interfacing to. What I also liked about this pattern is there are not too many pattern pieces. The front left and right bodice pieces also included the shoulder straps all in one. You later trim these to fit and I took 3 “ off my shoulder straps. I always admire a clever construction how a finished garment comes together and this pattern definitely keeps your interest. The dress has no darts and the bodice shaping is provided by a bit of simple gathering at the front. The pattern also mentions top stitching the bodice is optional which I did on my finished dress.

The pattern has standard 1.5cm seam allowances throughout which is what I used whilst sewing this dress and I followed each step of the pattern exactly. I am 5ft 7 ½ inches tall  and  the pattern is for a tea length dress which was absolutely fine for me and I didn’t need to lengthen it for my height.  I hemmed the dress with a simple narrow rolled hem which I am really pleased with.And here is my finished dress. I am really pleased with how well it turned out and the fit is really good. I am off on my summer holiday soon and I can’t wait to wear this dress.

Thank you so much Minerva for letting me try this lovely fabric. I am thrilled with my new dress and I already have plans to make more.

Thanks for reading,

Yvonne @ by-yvonne

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment