Operation Christmas Jumper
Posted in Projects on Friday the 16th November 2018 by Vicki Ormerod
We all know ‘Christmas is coming!’ and I’ve been lucky to be selected among the crafters to work on some Christmas projects for the Minerva Crafts blog this year.
Welcome ‘Operation Christmas Jumper’. I’ve been thinking of making one for ages. Being let loose on the Minerva Crafts online shop can be a little daunting as there are a lot of lovely products which makes choosing what to get a bit difficult at times. But it gets easier once you have a plan. Mine was to find the supplies for a Christmas jumper. This narrowed my search and my task became a lot more simpler. Which means it did not take me long to settle on a Vogue ladies top pattern and 3m of Christmas themed fabric.
Once I got the fabric, and having a better look at the pattern, I decided I prefer the sleeve option from View D and E. I cut all my pieces in a size M. But there was still a lot of fabric left. This became a challenge for me with the objective to cut another top (View E). I was OK with the bodice pieces. But, I did struggle with the sleeves. Inspired by the pattern envelope, I tried to use as much as possible the leftovers to cut them, this is how I ended up with modified sleeves, one red and one pieced together from the two fabrics. Who said the sleeves have to be the same?
And believe it or not, I still had some pieces of fabric that were big enough to be used in something else. I thought it would be fun to have matching knickers as well as minimising the amount of fabric to throw away (I donate my unusable pieces to charity to be recycled). I managed to cut two pairs of Meghan Nielsen Acacia. So ended up with 3 tops and 2 knickers. Not bad for 3 m of fabric!
I worked on all three tops at the same time and most of the construction took place on the overlocker/serger. Because I knew I was using the overlocker/serger for the construction I reduced the seam allowance to 0.5 cm from 1.5 cm. With most of my knitted fabric projects I stabilised the shoulder seam with iron on bias tape.
I finished off the neckline with a double needle to keep it flat. Also, this gives the top a professional finish look.
Hems were also finished with the double needle. But, to make my life easier, I prepped the hems before I constructing the side seams on all tops. I did this by marking the hem with water erasable pen, pressing into place and then pining it.
Once the tops were ready, I made the knickers. They were done in no time. I used some elastic with a picot edge I had in my stash, enough for both pairs. I think all in all they were made in about 3 hours from cutting to finished items.
Among the three tops I made my most favourite is the one I did not initially plan, view D with modified sleeves. I know they are not the typical jumper design.
I did not shorten the original sleeve (view D/E) I used with View B, so the sleeve looks a little longer on me and not the 3/4 sleeve it was intended.
And if the Christmasy print feels too much, you can layer it up with view C.
Please note that the tops look longer on me because I did not shorten the pattern above the bust area as I usually do with Vogue patterns. I like them to be a bit longer which means I will get away with wearing leggings with them as well.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post. And please do share your makes on Instagram/Twitter by tagging @MinervaCrafts and/or using the hashtag #MinervaMakes. I’d love to see what you create.
H T McCully said:
Great makes. I am inspired to try that pattern myself. Will give the knickers a miss! · 17th Nov 2018 12:27pm