View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Polka Dot Arielle Skirt

Hey Minerva Makers!

It’s Vicky from Sewstainability here with a review of this Polka Dot Stretch Cotton Sateen Fabric. First thing’s first, I‘d like to clear something up - am I the only one who thought that ‘Sateen’ meant shiny? I know, I know – put me in the corner with the dunce’s hat on – I confess I am a fabric simpleton sometimes. I think it is partly down to the fact that there are no fabric shops where I live, I don’t get to touch them often and learn their names. I am so grateful to websites like Minerva for getting me my fabric fix!

Anyway, when I ordered 1m of stretch cotton sateen, I sort of expected it to have a sheen to it, despite it being cotton. I was interested to try it even though I am not really much of a shiny fabrics person – I was therefore completely thrilled when I opened my package and this beautiful fabric came out! It is a good medium weight, not shiny at all with a really decent amount of stretch, I am definitely going to be ordering more to make some of the Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers!

When I ordered the fabric I knew I wanted to make an Arielle Skirt from Tilly and the Buttons. I took a gamble only ordering 1m of fabric but as I have seen so many people talk about what a great scrapbusting pattern it is I thought it was a safe bet. I cut a size 5 at the waist and graded out to a 7 at the hips and managed to get the whole skirt out of 1m so it was a total bargain! I do confess I had to turn the facing pieces against the grain to get the whole skirt out of 1m of fabric but as these pieces are fully interfaced it didn’t matter if they are cut with the correct grainline or not (although don’t cut them at an angle as they might twist and go all kinds of weird!)

I used my Sew Easy Metric French Curve to grade out the side seams to fit, I cut a size 5 at the waist and a 7 at the hips but it was too big when I basted the side seams together so I had to take it in about a centimetre at each side to get a good fit. I was really aware I have seen a few on other people that look like the buttons are really pulling and I wanted a smooth front so I was wary of taking it in too much. It’s still a little loose at the waist and I think I will make it a tiny bit smaller next time. I also added one inch to the mini length as I am 5’ 7” and I am happy with this length on me.

As the fabric is a good weight and completely opaque I decided not to bother with the optional lining. I did notice after finishing the skirt that there is a tutorial on the Tilly website for finishing the facings with bias binding and I do wish I had done that, some gorgeous yellow binding would have been a lovely pop of colour inside – but I guess it is lesson learnt for next time!

I chose some yellow buttons from my stash to contrast the navy and white polka dot and made sure to sew the buttonholes with yellow thread so that it’s obvious the yellow buttons were a deliberate design choice and not an afterthought. I didn’t want it to look like I just didn’t have any navy or white buttons! I really like the blue and yellow combination and I think it will get a lot of wear during autumn and winter with some cosy tights and boots.

Thank you to Minerva for sending me this gorgeous fabric and don’t forget you can find all my sewing adventures at Sewstainability.

Until next time – happy sewing!

Vicky

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment