View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Sew Over It Sylvia Robe in Navy Printed Georgette

As soon as I saw this navy Georgette Fabric, I knew I wanted to make a robe out of it and that it would fit into my wardrobe, as I have been making a conscious decision to use navy blue as one of my base colours in my fabric buying. In order to try to have a more cohesive wardrobe of clothes that I can mix and match. 
I already own the Sew Over It Sylvia Robe and once the fabric arrived I couldn't wait to start sewing. As is usual for me, I pre-washed the georgette at 40 degrees C and hung it out to dry. The fabric washed well, I used a medium steam iron and found it didn't always press as well as I would have hoped but it was not a huge problem for me. To cut out the pattern I used my rotary cutter and pattern weights, this is my normal method of cutting out as I find it distorts the fabric less as there is no lifting/shifting of the fabric. I also used a 70 universal needle and fine pins. 
The one issue I had was fraying of some of the seams following cutting out. So I would recommend only cutting out when you are about to commence construction, to minimise the fraying eating into your seam allowance. Another option I guess would be to finish the seams as soon as the pattern pieces are cut out. I didn't do this as I had decided to French seam my seams. 
The pattern came together as I would expect and the instructions are straight forward and clear. I made the short version as I didn't have enough fabric for the longer length but next time I fancy a longer length robe. I chose to finish the seams with French seams, firstly because the georgette is sheer and I wanted visible seams to be neat and secondly because I am really enjoying this finish at the moment in my me-mades. Thirdly, because I thought this would give the garment more longevity.
The only area of construction I had a slight problem with was when finishing the collar seam, I decided to 'stitch in the ditch' with my machine to finish this part of the construction but I did not catch all areas on the reverse with my stitching in the ditch and had to re do some areas. Next time I think I might just finish the collar by topstitching instead, as I think this will work better, that or use many more pins and double check the seam fabric on the bottom/back of the collar will be caught when using my 'stitch in the ditch' foot. 
For my measurements I cut the large as recommended and I'm happy with the fit. 
The robe is an easy sew and comes together quickly and I would recommend it if you're after a robe style jacket. I am really pleased with the finish inside and I just love this fabric, the colours of the flower print are lovely and its going to be a staple in my wardrobe. As to be expected with georgette fabric, it has a great drape and lends itself to a robe. 
Thanks for stopping by to read, I'm off to wear my new favourite addition to my wardrobe. 
Rebecca @ Rebeccas_Stitches

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment