Simplicity 8146 Mummy and Me Jumpsuit
Posted in Projects on Wednesday the 15th May 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
It’s only now, after I’ve been sewing for a few years, that my daughters have considered it safe enough to ask me to make them clothes. Cheeky monkeys! The orders now come in thick and fast and I’ve barely enough time to clothe myself nowadays. Being an outgoing little thing the youngest adored the stamps print Cotton Poplin Fabric from Minerva and wanted an eye catching summer outfit made especially for her. When the exciting parcel arrived she was so delighted with the bright riot of colours that covered the fabric.
Being a practical mummy I was pleased it washed and pressed well plus was soft to the touch. I have had the fantastic value Simplicity 8146 mummy and me pattern for a while. You can create both a jumpsuit and a maxi dress for mother, daughter and for the little ones’ dolly.
Something I have learnt when sewing for little people is to always make sure the fabric and pattern pieces are ironed before cutting the fabric. If they aren’t flat, the sizes of the pattern pieces may be wrong. As their garment sizes are so small even small changes in the dimensions can lead to a poorly fitting and wonky looking garment.
To make doubly sure I had enough fabric, I started cutting out the child’s pieces first. A lot of my day to day clothes are made of jersey so I had forgotten what a breeze cotton is to cut out!
When pinning out the pattern pieces there were large gaps in between so, to be thrifty, I cut out the dolls outfit at the same time. They were so tiny. Too cute!
Transferring the pattern markings was a little more time-consuming than usual. As the background colour of the fabric is black, and the stamps are all different shades, I couldn’t use my usual water soluble pen. So, I used old school tailor tacks which I found an unexpected pleasure to do and I am finally getting speedier at doing them.
By and large, the pattern is pretty simply to follow. The straps of the bodice are fiddly to put together but cleverly designed: the binding of the armhole extends to form a very durable shoulder strap which is an essential design feature for active little ones.
I think I was having a senior moment when putting together the waistline casing: I just struggled to understand the instructions! Once I had figured it out, I liked the way it was put together as it resulted in a much less bulky casing than some patterns. The bodice and trousers are sewn together, right sides facing (bodice inside trews) with a 2cm seam. Then the bodice seam allowance is trimmed to 6mm. After that you pull the bodice out and sew in another seam 6mm from raw edge through the layers of the casing and the bodice. I have put in a couple of explanatory photos below. The pebbles are just to keep everything in place for the photo.
Just a wee note too, I overlocked the raw edge of the trouser seam allowance before sewing in the casing seam. Alternatively you can use an overcasting stitch on your regular machine to keep everything neat and tidy.
When starting to stitch the dolls jumpsuit, I shortened the stitch length from 2.5 to 2 mm as the scale of the garment is smaller and requires a more delicate line of sewing.
The dolly’s jumpsuit is constructed in exactly the same way as the child’s apart from the back of the garment. This opens up all the way down the back and is fastened up using Velcro. There are even little pockets for her to put her hands into!
I have to say I loved making these matching outfits for my little girl and her dolly. She is truly delighted with them and her big sister now wants to take part in this blog. There is nothing like a bit of sibling rivalry!
I really hope you like the girls’ outfits and thank you so much for reading.
Please signin to leave a comment