View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

The Camille Crepe Jumpsuit

The strap line for this post could well be, “A Lady McElroy Camille will make you feel glamourous even on a building site” and it would be the truth! The feel of this garment is just amazing and I can’t wait to wear it somewhere a little more elegant than its current location as I think it is a complete show stopper!

The adverts for both the fabric and the pattern arrived in my inbox at virtually the same time I thought, almost immediately, that the two would be amazing together. When the fabric arrived I got a little star struck and wasn’t sure if I was going to be up to the challenge. This wasn’t made any easier when I started googling working with crepe. Then I did become a little nervous as it sounded like a stressful nightmare. However they obviously weren’t talking about this crepe as it is one of the nicest, best behaved fabrics that I have ever used!

This Lady McElroy Crepe Fabric is described as crepe-suiting but I can see lots of different possibilities for it, anything that requires a drape would be perfect. The Charcoal has lots of character and I think nuances of green. It has a soft mossy feel, heavy to the touch and the drape is just beautiful. I did spray it with starch before I lay out my pattern pieces just in case of slippage, though with hindsight I think this was unnecessary as I didn’t struggle at all with it even after the starch had brushed out.

The Camille Jumpsuit is from the latest Sew Over It E-book , featuring a capsule wardrobe, suitable for work to weekend. There are three versions for the jumpsuit, a work one and a more feminine version for the weekend and a pair of wide legged trousers. I chose the work version but actually think it is a bit too glamourous for my work and was definitely thinking more for parties!

I used exactly the amount of fabric that the pattern suggested, though I did forget to measure the fabric after I had washed it. I have always found the Sew Over It patterns too short in the bodice for me so I guesstimated two inches which seems to be the standard amount I need. I could have added less at the front as that might have combatted the slight gaping which I solved with a stitch. The legs were super long and I took two inches off after I had cut them out and then gave it two inch turn ups which for me is perfect with a low heel. The front of the trouser has pleats with the crepe gives a really flattering look across the tummy and makes my stumpy legs look like they reach my armpits which are both reasons for making other versions of this jumpsuit.

If I was making another jumpsuit though I would turn the waistband and then move a shorter zip to under the arm just for the logistics of getting in and out of it.

Thanks for reading,

Arianwen @ The Adventures of a Silverspider

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment