The Malbari Crepe Megan Neilsen Sudley Dress
Posted in Projects on Tuesday the 14th May 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
Hi, I’m Tamlyn (Also known as Sewn on the Tyne) and I’m delighted to be here today with my first blog post for Minerva. I love reading through the blog for inspiration, so I thought it was about time I got involved myself!
The fabric that I was immediately drawn to was the Malbari Crepe Fabric, which comes in an amazing range of colours (21 in total). I opted for the midnight blue, as I thought this was really stunning, classic and elegant.
I started to think about ideas and I initially settled on a pair of culottes, however when the fabric arrived, it was a lot more sheer than I was expecting so culottes wouldn’t have been possible. The description of the fabric on the Minerva website is fantastic – it’s my own fault for not reading it thoroughly! So I explored other ideas and really loved the idea of making a lined dress. I really wanted something that would show off the beautiful drape and sheen of the fabric. The Megan Neilsen Sudley Dress, which is a gorgeous smock style, has been on my radar for a while and this is what I decided to go for. I already had some navy opaque crepe fabric left over from another project which would be perfect for the lining. I pre-washed my fabric on my usual 30 degree wash, cut out my pattern pieces and was ready to get making!
I used a lot of clips and heavy pattern weights to help with keeping the fabric still while cutting, as it was very slippery and did move around a lot. But, by taking my time and using the equipment just mentioned, I didn’t find it too difficult. The instructions, as always in Megan Neilsen patterns, were fantastic – clear, straight forward and simple to follow. There are different variations within the pattern envelope which can be mix and matched and each one is even reversible! I opted for Version 3, which is an empire waist dress with gathered skirt and ¾ length sleeves. It features a keyhole cut out and tie, which can be worn at the front or the back. The bodice and skirt are lined.
There weren’t any parts of the make that I struggled with. I used a safety pin to turn the ties, which worked perfectly. I hand-stitched the bodice lining to the dress, which took a bit of time but gave a lovely, neat finish. The gathered skirt was simple to construct and gathering is something I actually really enjoy – it’s a satisfying process that gives a lovely result! I didn’t have enough lining fabric, so I just made the skirt lining a bit shorter. This actually leaves a lovely sheer panel at the bottom of the skirt, so it worked out well.
I am really happy with my finished dress. I love that it can be worn with the key hole detail at the front and the back (you can see I’ve worn it both ways in the photographs to show you). Wearing the key hole at the back means that I was able to wear a statement necklace to add more interest to the plain front. The relaxed, smock style is so comfortable and will be perfect for going out and eating a big meal!
I would definitely recommend the Sudley dress and blouse pattern and I will certainly be making another one very soon!
Thank you to Minerva for sending me the fabric and giving me the opportunity to share my make with you. I hope it has inspired you!
Speak to you again soon,
Please signin to leave a comment