Two Matching Shirts with a Retro Feel
Posted in Projects on Wednesday the 12th February 2020 by Vicki Ormerod
Today I have a project to show you that has been made from just two metres of fabric. You may be needing your sunglasses, it’s a bright one!
The Fabric is a drapey polycotton blend with an unusual texture, described on the Minerva site as a crinkle fabric. When it arrived, I popped it in the wash, dried it on the line outside and then pressed it. To my delight, all the crinkles disappeared. It has a circle print with a retro look that appealed to my partner who was very keen on having a shirt made using it. I wasn’t expecting to particularly like the fabric myself however, when it arrived and the crinkles were gone, I found that I actually loved the vibrancy and decided to make myself a shirt, too.
His preference is for a collarless shirt, grandad style. He finds this style to be less constricting and more casual than a collared version.
I chose to make him the Wardrobe by Me Jensen Shirt, described as a classic front button shirt with an optional collar and front pocket. For reference, he is a chest size 42 and his pattern size on this occasion is 2XL. It’s a PDF available to print at home or an A0 version for those that don’t do cutting and sticking.
I have made this pattern before so I knew it would fit him well.
For my own shirt, I chose the Deer and Doe Melilot. It’s a tried and tested favourite of mine, described as a casual shirt with dropped shoulders and cuffed sleeves.
Deer and Doe is a French pattern company but there’s no need to be cautious of them if you don’t have French language skills as Deer and Doe provide English instructions, too.
This time, I chose View B with a collar. For reference, my high bust measures 40”, full bust measures 44” and I made a size 46 with a bust adjustment. I also graded out slightly for my hips. The PDF has extended sizes so if you’re outside of the size range of the printed pattern, this is another option.
Both of these patterns have excellent, clear instructions together with clear illustrations and are of a similar construction. I had to be careful sewing them at the same time though because the seam allowances weren’t the same.
Choosing buttons for a project is never easy but my button jars came up trumps with these beauties, perfect for our shirts. His are light brown whilst mine are white.
Here we are in our new, groovy shirts, by the river. Very retrolicious.
We love our shirts. They’re great fun to wear. They’re also surprisingly warm so we’re going to put them away now until we get some cooler weather.
After sewing 2 shirts with 2 metres of fabric, there were still a few scraps left. I pieced these together to make this very useful hairband.
I’m so very happy with these makes. Thanks to Minerva for the opportunity to share these on their blog. If you’d like to see more of my sewing, I share it on Instagram @jillypopssews
Thank you for reading
Please signin to leave a comment