Vogue 1952 Vintage Dress
Posted in Projects on Wednesday the 9th October 2019 by Vicki Ormerod
I’m very excited to share my latest project for the Minerva blog. I’ve always loved Vintage dresses but dressing head to toe vintage every day requires far too much work for me so instead I like my dress style just to have a vintage influence. With this project I’ve decided to be a little more authentic and sew an original 1952 Vogue Pattern and stay true to the era by sewing without the mod cons like overlockers and invisible zippers.
The pattern is a Vogue original reprint from 1952. It’s very feminine with a fitted bodice and full circle skirt. Squared neckline front and back with a contrasting fabric for the banded trim, straps and contrast hem.
The fabric is a black Jacquard Fabric. I used a vintage silk to line it which I picked up from a deceased estate of a seamstress . She left her vintage stash to a friend who then sold it. I was lucky enough to pick up 60 meters of different fabrics! I loved using the lining from this collection as it added to the authenticity of the vintage style. It even smelt vintage (like mothballs!!) The neckline trim and hem are from some black velvet I had in my stash.
Luckily I had 4 meters of the jacquard fabric as the full circle skirt takes quite a bit of fabric! Originally I was going to add the contrast hem in the same fabric but it is cut on the bias and requires a lot of fabric. Even with 4 meters I didn’t have enough. That’s when I decided to add the velvet. I’m glad that I did as I think this really adds to the luxurious look of the dress.
As always, for prepping I prewashed the fabric and popped it in the dryer before giving it a good press with my steam iron. The fabric didn’t seem to shrink too much which is most likely due to the percentage of polyester. It was a beautiful fabric to sew. The needle and thread seemed to glide through it and I got away without having to pin too much.
I wanted to try and stay true to the 1950’s era and sew with vintage techniques. I used pinking shears to finish my seam allowances and inserted the side zipper with a regular dress zip rather than an invisible zipper. The bodice was constructed along with the lining and then I slip-stitched the entire neck band on. I attached a grosgrain ribbon waist stay and I also hand basted the hem before machine sewing the contrast velvet hem.
The only adjustment I made to the dress was to shorten it by about 10cm. I am very petite so this is a normal alteration for me. Before hemming it I let the dress hang for 24 hours to allow the fabric on the bias to “set”. Luckily I did as after hanging it the hem had dropped a lot in certain areas. It was a huge job getting the length even as the skirt is so big. The dress is also very heavy but I love it as it really feels like a vintage dress should feel, weighty and luxurious.
My photos were taken at my local Council Hall. I decided to wear some gloves and (cheap) pearls to give it a little touch of 1950’s. I hope I’ve inspired you to make your own vintage dress!
Annie @ sewthispattern.com
Birdy Hodges said:
Beautiful fit, and good careful work, I think this has got to be the best party dress for the season. · 12th Oct 2019 07:55pm
Christine Courtney said:
Beautiful dress & you look stunning in it. · 12th Oct 2019 07:03pm