View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

What a Gem Nina Lee Piccadilly Pyjamas

Hi again

I’ve gotta say I was chuffed to bits to have received 3 metres of the Camelot Cotton Fabric in the What a Gem pattern/colourway from Minerva. This was one of my choices and it was already destined to become the Nina Lee Piccadilly Pyjamas as soon as I saw it and I imagined myself sat in the sunshine on an evening drinking a nice glass of red! Okay, not in England at the moment with all this rain and cold but hey I can live in hope! 

 One of the first things I noticed when I laid out the fabric was the selvedge edge and the warning that it this fabric isn’t intended for children’s nightwear. I figured that as I was making for myself this didn’t apply. The fabric is also only 110cm wide and this is probably why I couldn’t fit all of my pieces on for the longer version.

Into the washer it went straight away as I was eager to get started. It washed beautifully and was dry and pressed in no time at all. My plan was to make the longer length pj’s and thought with 3m I would have ample, however, no amount of pattern tetris allowed me to get the longer length so I went for the short version. This fabric was non directional too so I was convinced it would fit.

It was a dream to sew and overlock. Even managing to get round the corners of the pockets and the button/buttonhole stands on the overlocker neatly.

As the pj’s started coming together I was getting more excited by the fabric and decided that to really make these “pop” I would need to get myself some nice turquoise bias binding and buttons. Admittedly I did buy turquoise and plain coral buttons just in case the turquoise might have been “too much”! You can never have too many buttons in your stash anyway right?? This fabric is a happy brightly coloured fabric and I managed to drop on what I think are the perfect happy buttons for popping on! 

 The bias went on a dream considering that I haven’t done much bias binding application in the past and really finished them off a treat. I opted for picot edge bias and it was the first time I’ve used this too. I made sure to press each and every seam and to get a crisp finish used my clapper for all seams.

I don’t know about you but I always hold my breath when it comes to doing buttonholes. Why is it that sometimes the buttonhole foot works perfectly but then the next buttonhole, for no reason whatsoever, the silly machine decides it’s not playing ball anymore! Anyway any disaster was averted on this as it worked perfectly first time (breathes a sigh of relief!!). 

I always use fray stop to help prevent fraying and have to say it does make a difference. I do really need to invest in a buttonhole chisel though now I’m being brave and tackling buttonholes as I still use the unpicker and a pair of scissors to open the buttonholes. This is really playing with fire and I have been caught out previously and ended up with a split right through the end of the buttonhole. 

As always when marking out my buttons and buttonholes I’ve used the Simflex expanding gauge. I love a good gadget and this one certainly gets plenty of use! I didn’t use the recommended amount of buttons on this make as I don’t particularly like things to be too fastened up at the neck, particularly in nightwear, so I decided to go “off piste” and do my own spacing. I ended up with 4 buttons leaving a nice gap at the top and bottom. I made a little bow from the bias binding to pop onto the centre of the shorts just in case the waistband was ever on view.

Overall I am really pleased with how these turned out and the fabric is just perfect for them. It sews and washes beautifully and what more could you ask for. I used a standard 70 needle and didn’t get any pulls or ladders.

Hope you enjoyed reading this and thanks for having me again!

Bye for now

Lisa x

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment