View all the latest fabrics to arrive at Minerva Crafts... Click here »

Need help? Contact us on 01254 708068 from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday

Working Towards An Only Me-Made Wardrobe

Hello everybody and thank you for reading. My name is Ida and some of you might know me from my Instagram account Sewtupida where I share my sewing projects. This is my first time writing here on Minerva Crafts blog as part of the Minerva Maker team and actually also my first time writing a blog post ever.

I started sewing clothes in December 2017 but it has really taken off since January this year when I decided to give it my full attention and work towards an only me-made wardrobe. Some garments will probably have to wait a while like jeans and bras but it feels good to have started.

I decided I wanted to make my own pattern from my favourite skirt from H&M and when I saw this beautiful floral Viscose Challis Fabric I just knew it would be perfect for my project. The fabric feels so soft and light against the skin and is perfect for a floaty skirt without being heavy.

I had already made one copy of the skirt before but I wasn’t too happy with it so I decided to make a new and more  precise pattern for this one. The original skirt was actually panelled but I decided to make it in only three pieces, one for the back and two for the front. I put the skirt on the floor, folded it in half so the front pieces would meet and drew around it to make the back piece pattern. Then I added 1 cm seam allowance around all edges. I used the same pattern for the fronts but added 6 cm on each centre front for the button panels. I don’t really know if this is the correct way to copy an existing garment, but you have to start somewhere and this was the most logic way for me to do it.

I realized when I had washed the fabric and was ready to cut out the pieces that the pattern was actually too wide for the fabric so I had to fold the pattern in a little at the sides (see photo).

I had a new strategy for the waistband in order to not mess it up again. I decided I would sew it approximately 10 – 15 cm from the edge on both sides, fold the centre front panels in twice and then sew the waistband to the ends of each sides (and cut the ends off if needed). Lucky for me this worked like a charm!

The next item on the agenda was to find suitable buttons. I wanted to have a colour that “popped” and I ended up with white buttons to match the white around the flowers. Check out that amazing button wall on the photo below. This cute little sewing machine/fabric shop is just around the corner from where I live and I always go there for buttons. I can always trust they have suitable buttons for my projects and the staff are also so eager to help, especially when I bring a small patch of fabric to put the buttons on.

I’m so happy with the result and I think the pattern and fabric works perfectly together. What I especially loved about this fabric was that it wasn’t too slippery when cutting and sewing like some viscose fabrics can be. So if you’re not best friends with viscose yet, this is the fabric to choose!

Thank you for reading,

Ida @sewtupida

Comments (0)

Please signin to leave a comment