A Helmi for Autumn
Posted on Tuesday the 21st November 2017 by ym.sews
Hello Minerva readers!
Today I have a project to share with you which I’ve been planning for a long time. In fact ever since Named Patterns released the Helmi Tunic Sewing Pattern as part of their FW16 Evolution Theory Collection (I pretty much love everything about every Named pattern collection release and the FW 16 collection has been one of my all-time favourites to date!). I’ve seen so many variations sewn up by the online sewing community over the past year and I finally found the perfect Dressmaking Fabric for my own Helmi tunic dress on the Minerva site.
I love Autumn. It has to be my favourite season of the year. The colours are just perfect; rusty oranges, deep reds and mustardy yellows. As Autumn approaches I break out all of my plaid fabrics, and hunt for new plaids to add to my handmade wardrobe. Minerva have some amazing Tartan Fabrics available at the moment, it was pretty hard deciding on one for my tunic. I settled on this Brushed Cotton Fabric. The description of this fabric is spot on. It’s not crisp or hard, but buttery soft and brushed to touch. I opted for the Lingdale colouway after much deliberation, mainly because it featured all of my favourite autumnal colours in good measure! Plus a bit of blue, you just can’t go wrong!
I used the pdf pattern of the Helmi, and printed it out in my local student copyshop. I find this option a very economical way to print out pdf patterns as I find piecing a4 pages together tedious and time-consuming. Plus the a0 only cost about £5 for the whole pattern, which in my opinion is worth the time and energy saved on the least fun bit of a sewing project! If you prefer the paper version of the pattern, Minerva sell this on their site (its in my materials list to the right of this blog post). There are many options you can add in to your tunic too, including the trench coat-inspired cape, or rounded shirt collar. Plus just look at the curved dolphin hem!
I find Named patterns always fit my quite well, they seem to be drafted for the taller body and so I only added a few inches to the bodice, leaving the skirt length as per the pattern with no alterations. I did cut a size up from my body measurements as I knew the skirt portion has no gathers and didn’t want it to be too snug when worn over fleecy leggings in the Autumn/Winter. The sizing turned out spot on and I’m pretty pleased with my tunic dress. I cannot wait to make more versions in more floaty cottons. The concealed button placket was so cleverly constructed (I’ve never successfully inserted a concealed button placket before!) but in a way I wish I had used less special buttons as you can’t really see them! Oops!
I added the pockets from my Hey June Patterns Cheyenne tunic dress because I really like the small proportions of these pockets. I think the finished look is just as I anticipated and I have already worn this dress many times! I can definitely attest to this fabrics’ quality after numerous washes. No bobbles and still as buttery soft as when it arrived. Trust me, this fabric is as good as it looks….maybe more so!
Until next time, thanks for reading.