I've been thinking about a leopard print jacket for quite some time, but never got round to it, until now.

I chose the most beautiful Lady McElroy wool blend fabric, it's so lovely with a soft but structured feel. It cut beautifully and stitched really well. I did use my walking foot as it's quite thick when working with 2 layers, but this wouldn't be a necessity. I didn't pre-wash the fabric, but did steam it with my iron. 

I had a gap in my wardrobe for a short jacket. I have seen a few of my sewing friends make the Sew Over It Coco jacket, and really liked how they turned out. The pattern asks for 1.4m of fabric, and I only had 1.1, so I wasn't sure if it would work, but I had plenty, even a little bit left over to make a bag. I guess that it helped that it's super wide at 60”.

The pattern was also a real pleasure. There are no fastenings which makes it simple, but it was still challenging enough to be interesting with princess seams and a lining.

For the lining I decided to use 100% silk Dupion in a lilac Colour which matched really well with the colours of the fabric. The silk gave the jacket good structure and it makes it feel so luxurious to wear.

When checking which size to make, I fell between 2 sizes, my measurements are 34” bust, 27” waist which was in the middle of a size 6 & 8. I decided to go for the 8 as didn't want to risk it being too small. It fits well but I feel it's maybe a little large in the shoulder, so I may grade between the sizes next time.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, it's such an easy jacket to wear and can be really dressed up, but equally worn casual with jeans.

I really like the sleeves, it's a 2 piece sleeve so it curves with the natural bend of your arm making it flattering and comfortable to move in.

I also noticed that it would also make a nice short coatigan style garment if it were left unlined and finished with bias binding or a facing.

I have filmed a video to share the details of the jacket up close, you can view this here.

For a final touch, I made a label from foil heat transfer vinyl using my Cricut machine, I love how it turned out.

I have worn it lots since making and I would definitely make this jacket again, but I would maybe add a facing and lining so that the edges are a little cleaner.

I'll leave you with a few more photos, thanks for reading and happy sewing