A Sew To Grow Meridan Knit Dress
Posted on Monday the 7th January 2019 by Sew Dainty
I'm kicking off 2019 with a comfortable everyday knit dress, as I know that the elasticated waist will be my friend this month after all the over indulgence during Christmas!
It's the Meridan Knit Dress from Sew To Grow
. This is the second dress that I have made from this designer (one of my all time favourite handmade dresses is her Flatter Me Frock
), so I was keen to try another of her patterns, and I've had my eye on this one for a while. Sew to Grow is an independent pattern company, based in Australia, and if, like me, you follow the owner Lindsey on social media, you will enjoy and look forward to her happy, fun-loving attitude which is reflected in her posts.
The Meridan Knit Dress is a beginner friendly dress which features a choice of round or v-neck, different length sleeve options, a straight or curved hem and the choice to have pockets or not. There are no tricky fastenings as it simply pulls on and off over your head.
My fabric choice was this adorable Scuba Fabric
, as I was really drawn to the colours and the irregular stripes, but do check out the huge range of jersey fabrics that Minerva have in stock as I feel that this might be even more perfect for the Meridan Knit Dress. I wanted to make the version with pockets, and used this opportunity to use a contrasting Black Scuba
for the pocket pieces to make a feature of it.
My measurements put me between a 'small' and a 'medium' on the sizing chart on the pattern, but when I made up a toile I found that it came up fairly large, so my finished make is an 'extra small'. This size difference may be down to my fabric choice not having as much stretch in it as a jersey knit, but it might be worth making up a toile for this pattern before cutting into any precious fabric, in case you find it on the large side too. Once I had my size sorted, I could not wait to make it up.
I went for the round neckline, as this is my favourite neck shape, and I was happy to discover that it has an adorable scoop neckline at the back of the dress which looks pretty (but is not so low that it would show any underwear straps).
The instructions are great. They are easily understandable and have clear illustrations taking you through the dress construction step by step. The neck edge is finished by using facing pieces, but to keep the bulk down on my version I decided to finish it using some bias strips made from leftover fabric. This worked well and if you are new to this technique there is a great video tutorial on how to attach bias tape at the neckline over on the Sew To Grow YouTube channel here
The dress comes together quickly and easily, and when it was finished, I decided to add some elastic at the waist seam (an optional step), to give me a better fit at the mid section. I just used some 1/4" elastic in my stash to do this.
When finishing the hem, I used some Iron-On Seam Tape
, to stabilise the edge before stitching. This is a really great way to avoid an over-stretched hem, and allows you to turn it up leaving you a nice crisp edge too. I also used the seam tape at the shoulder seams and neckline to avoid any stretching there too.
In order to get the best results when sewing any type of stretch fabric, I used my walking foot and used ball point pins and machine needles. The walking foot is particularly helpful in feeding through the fabric evenly top and bottom, which is really useful when you are trying to match up your stripes.
Thank you so much to Minerva for all the lovely supplies needed for this project, and wishing you all a very Happy New Year.