Hi Minerva readers,

I have a quick and satisfying project to share with you all today. Anyone who follows my sewing pursuits over on my Instagram knows I love a maxi dress! Combined with my love of Jersey Fabrics I thought the perfect easy-to-wear garment for my summer wardrobe was a jersey maxi dress. I knew this project would be really easy to sew up as I essentially wanted to make a maxi tank dress making it the perfect opportunity to showcase a really beautiful piece of jersey fabric.

I spent a while browsing the jersey section of fabrics on the Minerva site, and after my amazing experience with the Art Gallery denim I knew I wanted to try out some of the Art Gallery Jersey Fabric, finally settling on this Fabric. Blue is one of my go-to colours and I love the print pattern on this fabric.

When it came to choosing a Sewing Pattern I went for one I’ve had my eye on for a while but just hadn’t managed to get around to making – the Mission Maxi dress by Jamie Christina.

Before cutting into my lovely jersey fabric I knew I wanted to make a toile of sorts. To do this I used the leftovers from a previous Minerva project. I had maybe 75cm left which was just enough to squeeze what I hoped to be a wearable toile tank top version.

I cut my size based on the sizing chart included in the pattern. I had read that the pattern ran a bit small and so I ended up sizing up one to make sure it was roomy enough to be comfortable and not clingy. I was so happy with how the toile turned out (and have ben wearing it on a regular basis since to prove how successful it was!). I cut the neckline an inch or so higher than the pattern pieces.

After this success I moved quickly onto cutting into my Art Gallery jersey. I have to let you in on a secret…it’s the most delightful jersey to work with (and wear for that matter!). It’s soft and slightly brushed in texture on the reverse, and the colours are lovely and saturated and don’t fade to white when you stretch the fabric as you find with some jersey fabrics.

In terms of construction this dress is really simple consisting of a front, back and some binding pieces. The binding construction leaves a really nice clean finish to the armholes and neckline.

In summary, I’m one happy sewer! Thanks again to team Minerva for the supplies. I can highly recommend both the Ponte Roma Fabric I used in my toile, Art Gallery Knit Fabric, and this pattern!

Until next time!!