Blouse & A-Line Skirt
Posted on Monday the 29th July 2019 by The Athenian Maker
Hi Minerva Crafters, this is my first post under my new blog The Athenian Maker and for this month’s post I made an outfit using two Burdastyle Magazine patterns, a skirt and a blouse both from March issue of 2016 and both with beautiful fabrics from Minerva of course!
Let’s start with the blouse, the fabric I used is a gorgeous Floral Cotton Fabric with glitter on it, my initial plan was to make long flared culottes with it but when I received it I realized that I would love this fabric to be close to my face instead, plus a cotton poplin probably is not the best fabric for the flared long culottes I had in mind. They would need a fabric with more drape instead.
As a result I chose to make a blouse using pattern 104 from March issue of 2016 Burdastyle, the pattern features a high low hem, a box pleat on the back that adds more flare, and three quarters sleeve. A really simple blouse but with such a beautiful print I didn’t need anything more complicated. I made a couple of minor changes in the pattern, firstly I shortened the sleeves and made them more summer appropriate. Then I reduced the width of the box pleat by 2 cm on each side of the pleat. And lastly as I don’t like how Burda finish the neckline with binding I used the front and back pieces of the pattern to make a facing instead, as this is my favourite method of finishing and it is actually really easy to sew.
The second part of the outfit is pattern 101B from the same issue in a very soft royal blue Cotton Poplin Fabric, a really good quality fabric!
As for the pattern, it’s an A line skirt featuring jetted pockets, pleats and tie front. It is meant to be over the knee lengthwise and it is made with two horizontal panels on the front and two on the back and it closes with a side zip.
Burdastyle Magazine includes in every issue two patterns that have detailed illustrated instructions and this skirt happens to be one of them in this issue. Therefore, this was the first time that I followed their instructions, mostly for the pockets. I have sewn jetted pockets in the past but I don’t remember how they are done so it was helpful to follow the instructions for once.
Again, this is a really simple and straight forward make that I didn’t have any serious problems with. The only thing that is not the same as the pattern illustration is the position of the pockets. The pattern includes the position of the pocket only for the smallest size and says to move it accordingly to the chosen size, I didn’t notice this so my pocket ended up to be just under the pleat. I don’t really mind it, so even if I had extra fabric I would not have remade that from the beginning.
Apart from the mistake I did with the pockets the only change I made was the length of the skirt. The bottom pattern piece is cut double with the hem on the fold so that it functions as a facing. After attaching the bottom with the top part of the skirt I tried it on before folding the facing and I loved the over the ankle length of the skirt. I don’t have any other skirts or dresses of this length so I decided instead of folding it in half to leave it as is and just hem as usual.
For both blouse and skirt I made size 44 and although my initial plan was a completely different look I love how this turned out and how beautifully the two garments go together but also with other items of my wardrobe.