Burda 6610 Tunic
Posted on Wednesday the 16th May 2018 by Sewchet
This month's project for the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network was inspired by this beautiful Microfibre Fabric
in a geometric pattern with a wide border. What with all the extra laundry our B+B is now producing, the fact that this promised "very little creasing" appealed hugely. And the promise bears out - no creasing at all actually, despite being unceremoniously thrown on the bedroom floor in a heap and residing there overnight!
I quite liked View C on the Sewing Pattern
envelope, though unsure about the tie neckline, and I envisioned the border on the hem of the tunic and the sleeves.
Can you see the difference? The right side of the fabric is slightly darker than the reverse, but there definitely IS a right side.
The usual adjustments were made to the pattern before cutting out - shortening both the body and the sleeves to suit my 5'2" frame.
When working with a border print, you usually have to ignore the layout diagram and play around until it works for you. In this instance it was a doddle to rearrange the pieces, but I was careful to place the hem of the tunic and the bottom of the sleeves on the edge of the border, as I wanted them to match.
Then I revisited the neckline that I wasn't happy with.
I decided to change it to a simple V-neck and altered the pattern accordingly, as shown below.
Of course, that meant adding a facing using the new neckline as a guide to make one.
The facing was simply stitched to the new neckline with right sides together, making sure to clip the centre front 'V' to ensure a sharp point hen turned.
Rather than top stitching or under stitching to keep the facing flat, I opted to stitch 'in the ditch' at the shoulder seams for an invisible finish.
I'm already in love with the border!
A nice sharp finish to the front 'V'.
The tunic has side slits for wearing ease.
After inserting the sleeves, I was pleased with how the border placement works with the hem.
The shaping comes in the form of bust darts and vertical darts down from the shoulders, although both are practically invisible on this busy patterned fabric. They stop the tunic from being too boxy and shapeless.
Looking again at the above pictures, I thought it needed a bit of colour around the top as well as the hem, so I added a design feature in the form of a tab made from the border fabric.
Then I free-formed a necklace from a skein of closely matching embroidery floss and a couple of beads.
Threaded through the tab, it adds a welcome burst of colour to the top half of the tunic, too, and balances it out better, I think.
A quick photo shoot outside.
It was a bit windy!
If you've seen this week's Sunday Sevens, then you'll have seen me wearing it on two separate occasions already.
In summary; the pattern was classified as 'Easy' and lived up to that description - just what I need at the moment when things are hectic but I want that sewing 'fix'. The fabric is just lovely, heavier weight than you might expect and so has a wonderful drape to it - with no creasing!