Sewing separates is something many of us tend to avoid. It’s easy to imagine yourself wearing a lovely dress, but when it comes to a blouse one of the first questions that come to mind is “what to wear it with?” That’s exactly the situation when a very pretty and slightly unusual blouse is the best choice. The more unique it is, the less complicated the skirt design should be. That was one of the reasons why I decided to sew a popular Simplicity 1590 blouse.
I love wearing blouses but at the same time, I try to avoid the typical office “white blouse-black skirt” look. I guess I got a bit sick of it during my “pre-sewing”, studying and working years. So today I tend to choose something classy, but unique. I adore the vintage style, but most of the 50s blouses are a bit shapeless. It’s quite normal since they were usually worn with a tight high waisted skirt, but I still prefer something with a bit more fit. Needless to say, I was very excited to come across Simplicity 1590 pattern. It’s a vintage 40s reproduction, it has a collar and collarless options, peplum, waist ties, short sleeves… What else to ask for? I decided to sew a blouse with a collar and even though it takes a bit more time (this pattern is known to be a quick project one), it’s definitely worth it. Not only it gives an extra touch of elegance, but it also makes this garment a proper 40s one. The collar itself is very vintage, it’s not the one you’ll find in modern patterns or RTW. The only problem I had with it was the application method. Not that it was difficult to do, it’s just my personal preference to avoid clipping into visible seams as much as possible. I skipped the bow but I do consider making it one day soon, I already got some tiny invisible snaps for it.
The Fabric I picked was as gorgeous as the pattern. I was first thinking of something bright and floral, but then checked my wardrobe and decided to go for something more pastel and solid. The fabric is a shirting one, which leaves you no chance to fall into a “too thin/too thick for a blouse” trap. It has an amazing, truly amazing quality, especially for the price. And the colour is absolutely amazing. It’s not as typical as white, off-white or ivory options, but it’s not bright or “too much” either. I took my button choosing process very seriously and I picked them from my stash. I wanted something shank, slightly pearly and close to the beautiful buttermilk colour of the fabric. The buttons couldn’t steal the show, they had to complement the garment. 
As for the sewing process, it was quite a smooth one. There is a bit of a sizing confusion and I highly recommend starting with a muslin. I traced two sizes based on what was printed on the pattern pieces (one that sounded perfect to my measurements considering the ease and one slightly bigger) and I ended up using the bigger one, which was quite surprising. I saw some similar reviews, so keep that in mind. I didn’t change anything in the pattern apart from the button placement. I always make sure I don’t get the bust gap, which usually leads to a complete button dislocating process. In this case, I even had to add an extra one. Good job I had exactly one more button than I needed!
I’m really happy with my blouse and since the temperature has dropped down, I can highly recommend the fabric for your Autumn/Winter projects.