With warmer days ahead, I wanted to sew a jumpsuit for the Summer. As my baby bump is growing (I’m 18 weeks), a jumpsuit gave me comfort and style for my changing figure. Today I am reviewing the wonderful pattern Simplicity 8146 in this gorgeous Cotton Chambray Fabric and scroll down to see my mini me and her dolly in exactly the same jumpsuit. It’s a family post and I can’t wait for us to wear these out!

I fell for this Simplicity pattern as my daughter would love to dress the same as Mummy and her doll. I love Simplicity for the fit and easy to follow instructions, I’ve been sewing Simplicity for over twenty years and cannot fault the brand. All the way through the project (I had never stitched a jumpsuit before), the instructions were easy to follow and I made all three jumpsuits with little adjustments in three evenings.

The fabric was amazing to work with, I love a chambray and the pastel candy pink was a classic. I could accessorise and add a t-shirt or cardigan on cool days to my outfit. I stitched all three out of three metres of fabric. I found the best way of ordering the fabric was to work out what I needed in English language in yards on the back of the packet and convert into metres. Working with a standard 70 needle, I had no pulling or needle breakage. The slight stretch in the fabric made the bias neckline easy to assemble.

The pattern was a great make, it consisted of seven pattern pieces and was sized in small, medium, large for the Misses sizes and by age for the Girls. I cut a medium trouser and a small top so I could change the trouser fit with a dress fitting to ensure a good fit. That is the beauty of this pattern, you can mix and match to get the right fit for you.

As a newbie to jumpsuit making, I loved that the waistband was part of the trouser pattern. I didn’t need to cut out an additional piece which maybe would be a little bulky around my baby bump. I used ¼in Elastic for the waistband and order two metres which was more than enough for the three projects.

I stitched the project to the instructions except I machine sewed the bias to create the shoulder straps. I thought if I put a machine stitch in it would be more secure in the wash. I tacked and pressed then stitched.

Let’s talk pockets, all three designs have a great pocket feature. You create the pocket lining and part of the trouser by folding back one pattern piece on itself and even baby doll had them! Again, the instructions talked me through this step by step. A great detail.

The back of the jumpsuit fastened with loop and button design. I decided to cut about three inches off the trouser length so they were ankle grazing. Looking at the image on the pattern pocket, my trousers are less tapered than the photo, but I do Iike the cut as it balances my pregnancy bump out well! You could always taper yours to fit your body shape.

After creating my jumpsuit and living in it! I made Little L one too and also one for baby doll. My daughter couldn’t contain her enjoyment at being a mini me!  

She is six and helped me with waist adjustments, I gave her a water erasing embrodiery marker and she helped me mark it and try it on, see photo below…

After fitting the jumpsuit for my daughter, we took the trousers up to calf length which she preferred. She loves the design that she wants me to make it again

I can also see hours of play in the outfit with her baby doll.

This was a really satisfying make and from that smile on her face, we may well make it again. It was so simple, even though the pattern doesn’t have an ability grade.

I would recommend the jumpsuit to any sewist and to the Mum’s this match-mini-me combo is adorable to stitch!

Samantha writes a creative blog www.crafternoonteas.com and hosting Crafternoon Tea Parties; vintage craft events and workshops in the Midlands, UK and beyond www.crafternoonteahostess.co.uk