Cobra Corsage Simplicity 1080
Posted on Friday the 4th October 2019 by The Unfinished Seamstress
I often face a dilemma with fabric that I love: I want to do right by the fabric, and make it into the thing it longs to be, the thing it would be perfect for, but I also want to make something that I will actually wear, for my normal life. When this gorgeous Cobra Corsage stretch cotton twill fabric
arrived from Minerva, I was dreaming of tight trousers and a blazer. With the medium weight and the stretch (and the print!), it would be so great for a quirky suit. But where on earth am I
going wear a snake print suit? I’m so hard on my trousers that the knees would be blown out by Christmas (it’s secondhand jeans almost exclusively at the moment), and I love the fabric enough that I really want to wear
it. Another good option for this fabric is a wiggle dress which, for me, right now, is preposterous. Laughable. So I dithered for months, but a little voice in the back of my mind kept whispering Simplicity 1080
I think Simplicity 1080 is something of a Marmite pattern. It sells like hotcakes, I understand, is beginner-friendly, with cute pockets and modest fabric requirements. It also kinda looks homemade, which is either appealing to you or it isn’t. I happen to like the neckline (it’s cute over a turtleneck too), and the funny little faux cap sleeves, and in a mid-weight fabric the pockets are highly practical. I believe mine were filled with conkers when these photos were taken. It’s a smock dress, a middle-school art teacher dress, a gardening-cooking-running-around-but-I-still-want-to-wear-a-dress dress. Anyway, it works for me, and it’s comfortable for all day. I can layer it up over jeans and turtleneck for winter, or wear it as-is in the autumn. With tights and boots it has quite a 90’s feel to me, which I am more than ok with. I went with this pattern for a reason: it should really earn it’s keep in my wardrobe.
Changes I made were few: while I like the stretch through the bust and shoulders, I thought it prudent to take some extra stabilising steps on the tucks and pockets. I used fusible interfacing, and a touch of topstitching. I allows very silly when arranging my cutting layout, and ended u with an entirely avoidable back seam. Never mind. Flawless pattern matching on the pockets isn’t actually possible due to the pleat, and I think an almost-match is worse than no match at all, so I made sure to cut the pockets with a “blob’ of the motif in roughly the right place, but without any visible repeats nearby. It looks like a happy accident, but it was in fact planned.
And in the end, it’s a total workhorse for my everyday life. The fabric is soft but strong, because that’s what this gig requires.
As always, thanks for reading friends!