Coco and the Lingerie
Posted on Monday the 24th July 2017 by Emmy Couture
One of my major goals for 2017 was to increase the amount of hand made underthings I owned. So far, I have been fairly successful! This month I decided to make up a basic slip and a few knickers. I can’t tell you how difficult it is to get nice pictures of a slip without having a proper dress form! Hopefully you can still get the general idea.
Using Vogue Pattern 8888 View D, I sewed the slip out of this wonderful Satin Fabric. It is silky with the slightest bit of stretch. I used french seams throughout the construction. With slinky or slippery fabrics, french seams are one of the best ways to finish your seams. It strengthens the seams and reduces the chance of ripping or fraying. I do find sewing french seams a little fiddly, but the end result is definitely worth it. It also makes this slip more comfortable because the seams are all soft without serged edges. The top edges of the front and back are finished with a piece of stretch lace I had in my stash.
I did have one mishap. I accidentally flipped the front “cup pieces”. The edge that was supposed to be the side seam ended up in the center. By the time I realized my mistake, I was already almost done with the slip. Whoops! Oh well, I rather like how it turned out. It made it a little more modest across the front, which makes it even more wearable. I’ve already worn it a few times, and I can tell it is going to get loads of use. I’ve never owned a full length slip, but now I think I need two or three more in different colors.
Two pairs of the knickers were made using a cute floral print Stretch Mesh Fabric, and the other (my favorite!) out of some scraps of Stripey Knit Fabric. I finished the waistband edges with this Coloured Elastic and the legs with a delicate Picot Edge Elastic. The pattern I used was a slightly modified Watson Bikini by Cloth Habit. I raised the length or rise of the bikini by two inches, so now it’s in between a brief and a hipster. I prefer to have my knickers come up higher, and that little adjustment has made the Watson Bikini pretty much perfect!
Now I know that seeing loads of pictures of garments laid flat is not the most interesting thing to look at. But don’t worry, I also have an actual dress to show you! It is the Tilly and the Buttons Coco dress made from this super comfy striped Knit Fabric too. (I used the scraps from this dress to make the aforementioned knickers!) The Coco Dress Pattern was immensely popular for quite a long time after it was first released, but I never thought it was something I would sew up. I’ve been pleasantly surprised! This dress is So. Extremely. Comfortable.
I cut a size 4 for the bodice then graded out to a size 8 at the hips. It did make the skirt rather more flared, which is closer to my preferred style. I also decided to have short sleeves so that I could wear this dress in the summer. When I make the Coco again, I will definitely add several inches in length. I’m 5’ 9” and this is too short for my preference. I actually just serged the hem because I didn’t want it to end up any shorter! I added the pockets rather last minute. I wasn't originally sure if I wanted them, but I am quite glad I put them on in the end. I think they are a wonderful contrast to the rest of the dress.
This fabric is some of the nicest knit I have ever used. It is soft, with a decent amount of stretch. It doesn’t drape too much and it was absolutely perfect for the Coco. The stripes are a classic print that I ended up liking even more than I thought possible. I should get quite a bit of wear out of this dress during the summer, and, when autumn arrives, I can add some tights or leggings with a cardigan and it will be a wonderful transition piece.
Thank you for reading!