Colette Aster Blouse
Posted on Wednesday the 28th March 2018 by Michelle Sews
This month, for MCBN, I decided to make a cami or sleeveless blouse from this lush Atelier Brunette Viscose Crepe Fabric
. The whole range of colours is gorgeous, to be honest, but after much deliberation I settled on the Forest Green colourway.
It is actually more of a teal colour, I think, one that I really like. The crepe is buttery soft and has a light weight with a bit of body, so it was perfect for a blouse, and I think it would make for a lovely summer dress too.
I was flicking through my pattern stash for inspiration when I came across the Colette Aster Pattern
. I quickly changed my mind about the sleeveless top idea. The Aster is a bit of a dark horse - I’ve made it once before in an ivory crepe and while it’s never something I think of when I’m trying to decide what to wear, it is always when I’m flicking through my wardrobe for a white top and see it that I think, “oh yeah!” and pull it out to wear. It’s a great staple piece in that sense.
Aster comes in a three views. The bodice is largely the same (optional pleats on one version), and there is a choice of an elbow-length sleeve, a long sleeve or a flutter sleeve.
(Pictures: Colette Patterns)
I chose to live on the edge and use the plain bodice from the long sleeve view, with the elbow length sleeves that go with the pleated bodice. Wild, I know. Even better, I managed to squeeze this out of 1 metre of the crepe.
The instructions were clear for the most part, except for the bit where the bias neckline binding is tucked into the angled center front. I remember being confused by this the first time around too, and basically fudged my way through it again.
My previous Aster was the first pattern in which I’d used the burrito method for a blouse yoke and it made me smile this time around to think how far I’ve come since then! I also really like this length of sleeve - warm enough for the A/C in my office but still short and, I think, flattering.
I really wanted to use these Teal Buttons
on the left of this picture but they were a bit too big for the Aster placket. Instead I used the marbled Dark Green Buttons
on the right, which are still a good match for the colour but are a bit smaller.
And here it is!:
The Aster blouse is a quick and simple make (barring the front neckline bit, which might just me being dim!). And the Atelier Brunette viscose is just a dream to work with. I definitely need to try one of the other gorgeous colours.
Thanks as usual to Minerva for supplying the kit for this project! I highly recommend it.