Continuing My Run Of Wrap Dresses
Posted on Saturday the 8th June 2019 by Self Assembly Sewing
Hello, hello! It’s Emily of Self Assembly Required back again with another make!
I’m continuing my run of wrap dresses for the Blogger Network with the simply styled Burda 6344 Pattern! I do love a wrap style as I think the neckline is always so flattering, though I have yet to find my “perfect” one which is why I keep making different ones!
This must have been a recent release because when I googled it (which I do for all my new patterns to check what other people’s experiences with them have been – it’s a great way to get an idea of what adjustments to make and what possible hiccups may arise!), I couldn’t find a single review. I don’t think that has ever happened to me before!
The pattern is a simple one. Designed for knits, the dress has two lengths with an option for a hem ruffle on the knee length version. It has a waistband, princess seams on the front and closes with long ties around the waist. There are two straps for each shoulder, grown on to the front bodice pieces, which twist around each other before being sewn down at the back. The bodice is fully lined.
I wanted to make the maxi length version of this dress and found a lovely burnt orange coloured Textured Jersey Fabric to use. It’s a polyester medium weight fabric with a fair bit of bounce and weight to it. It has an almost crepe light texture to the right side and a smooth back.
The pattern itself is pretty straightforward though I do think the instructions are a bit on the light side. It’s also quite a fabric hungry one! I thought I’d ordered just enough for it but I ended up being a bit short using their fabric layout. In the end, I had to add a centre back seam and made it with plain straps instead of the twisty ones as it was the only way of getting it to fit on the fabric! To accommodate those changes, I added on a seam allowance to the centre back pattern piece and used the bodice lining pieces for the outer as well.
I made a size 42 and shortened the dress by 1.5cm at the waist, 5cm at the hip and another 2cm at the hem. I also ended up taking a wedge out of the side bodice after I’d finished. It looked as though the neckline had stretched out and was gaping a little at the top. I’m still not 100% quite sure if that was a sewing error or a pattern problem!
I love how the weight of the fabric makes the dress move and fall. I feel super glam in it! but I do think it’s a bit thick for this pattern. When it came to the waistband, where in some areas you’re sewing through eight layers of the stuff, it really added a lot of unnecessary bulk. I’d definitely recommend bearing that in mind when looking for a fabric for this dress!