Posted on Saturday the 29th June 2019 by Sewing Angela
Sometimes magic happens with sewing and by sheer chance the perfect pattern and fabric combination happens. This is what happened to me when I received this Cotton Fabric
to try and this pattern literally jumped out at me when I went into my sewing room to see what I could make.
I absolutely adore this dress. It is the most elegant one I have seen in a long time and I am looking forward to wearing it very much, It is perfect for any occasion, I only wish I had a wedding to attend as it would look stunning.
The style could not be simpler. A boat neckline, princess seams and a gathered skirt with a belt which ties in a bow at the front.
The fabric is this beautiful poppy print
on a black background.
The design only runs one way so do make sure that you keep all your pattern pieces the right way up. It would be a shame to waste fabric if you accidentally had the poppies upside down.
There is plenty of design choice on this pattern. I chose the longer length sleeves because living in the North West UK, it is cold more than it is warm and a dress with sleeves is therefore more wearable for me.
The bodice is fully lined and I chose to use the leftover bits of fabric for the lining because to be honest this is such a gorgeous fabric that I didn't want to waste a scrap! A fine Cotton lawn or a lining fabric would be other choices.
The pattern fit me perfectly with no alteration.
I made sure that I pressed every seam as it was sewn - this makes a garment look far more professional so never skip it. I always get my pressing tools out first whenever I go into my sewing room to sit and sew.
Any curves, for example on the neckline, need to be clipped to the seam line in order for the seam to turn the right way out neatly.
The bodice and the bodice lining are made first and the neckline stitched, turned right side out and pressed. Then baste within the seam allowance along the sides and bottom and also around the armscye.
This holds everything together whilst you add sleeves and skirt.
At this stage I inserted the sleeves using my invisible hem foot as I did not want any top-stitching anywhere on this dress.
The skirt was stitched together and the side seams neatened. Then it needed to be gathered, so I ran two rows of basting stitch within the seam allowance and pinned the skirt to the side seams and centre front of the bodice right sides together.
Gently pull up the gathering stitches until the skirt fits the bodice and arrange the gathers evenly. Use lots of pins to hold the gathers in place and machine stitch removing pins as you go.
I used my overlocker to neaten the seam.
I inserted an invisible zip at the back and then finished stitching the back seam.
I then sewed an invisible hem as I did on the sleeves.
I made a belt and tied it in a bow at the front. The pattern gives different belt options.
This is such an easy pattern to sew. I had it made up very quickly. But don't let the simplicity fool you, this is an extremely sophisticated dress which you will feel amazing in.
I do hope that you will buy this fabric, I am totally thrilled with it. The pattern is very crisp and vibrant and the weight of the fabric means that it holds its shape very well. I picture it being used to make a strappy sundress too.
Thank you very much Minerva for letting me try this fabric. This really is the nicest dress I own.