Float like a Butterfly - Named Ansa dress
Posted on Saturday the 19th August 2017 by Not Sew Simple
After going back to basics with very practical trousers last month, it must be time to be a little more frivolous and make another dress.
This month I made the Named Ansa Dress Pattern from the Named Playground collection.
I made the Reeta Dress Sewing Pattern from this collection back in April and it has been getting regular wear. The Ansa dress feels a little more dressed up than Reeta - Named describe it as a cocktail dress but I will probably be wearing it for days with meetings at work since I very rarely get to drink cocktails these days!
I was really excited when Minerva started stocking Atelier Brunette Fabrics and I couldn't wait to try them out! I love all of the print designs but in the end I went for this Viscose Crepe Fabric in midnight blue. The fabric is a shade lighter than a navy blue and has almost a petrol blue colour. I love the breathability of viscose and this fabric has a lovely texture and is perfectly light for a summer day.
I was surprised that this dress can be squeezed out of less than two meters of 150cm wide fabric - this makes it a great choice for splashing out on some special fabric!
I really love the billowy butterfly sleeves on the Ansa - the drapey viscose means that there is plenty of movement. This year has been all about sleeves and this is the perfect project to enter for #sleevefest2017 over on Instagram!
Having made a number of Named patterns this year I feel fairly confident about my sizing now and I threw caution to the winds and went ahead without making a toile! I cut a size 42 shoulder and bust, grading out to a size 46 at the hip.
Ansa is described as semi-fitted and the pleats at the front allow you to adjust the fitting quite easily - I added a bit more width to the back pieces around the hip as I was worried about the fit there, but I ended up taking it off again after trying the dress on.
The soft viscose fabric definitely benefitted from being interfaced to stabilize the fabric where the zip is inserted. I neatened most of the seams with my overlocker. The only place where I wasn't entirely happy about the seam finish was on the curved seam at the bodice. The seam line there is too curved to use an overlocker so I sewed two rows of straight stitches to stop the fabric from fraying and that seemed to work.
I love this dress - the fabric is a great match for this pattern and the colour is beautiful - perfect for summer and beyond.
Thank you to Minerva for the supplies as ever,