Heart Motif T-shirt
Posted on Sunday the 3rd March 2019 by Duncan Carter
A t-shirt in March? Normally it would be a badly timed project, but we’ve had 18ºC sunny days here in London this week so a new t-shirt turned out to be just what I needed for the early spring heatwave!
I’m on a mission to slowly replace my store bought t-shirts with me-made garments. Now that I have a tailor-made pattern I can bang them out quite quickly on the overlocker, but I don’t see the point in having piles of boring t-shirts so decided to embellish this month’s garment for a unique twist. This bright red Heart Motif
adds something quirky, and contrasts beautifully with the charcoal grey Jersey Fabric
It’s always wise to stitch down your iron-on motifs, for extra durability, but rather than invisible stitching, I decided to use this ruby Metallic Embroidery Thread
to make a feature of it.
I am a bit of a magpie and love anything with some glimmer, so I gave the heart a light coat of glitter paint for extra shimmer. It’s hard to see well in the photos but the motif sparkles brilliantly in the sunlight.
When I tried on the t-shirt, the fit was good but the metallic thread was quite uncomfortable against my skin. It is intended for embroidery, so it’s not surprising that metal threads would feel odd against the skin. As a quick fix, I stitched a small patch of jersey on the underside, covering all the metal threads on the wrong side. It’s totally invisible from the outside, but makes the garment so comfortable to wear. Easy!
The neckline is the best t-shirt “collar” I’ve ever sewn. Often I just use a piece of the main fabric for the neckline, but using this Tubular Ribbed Jersey
gives a much more professional finish. You cut the neckpiece to be a little shorter than the neck measurement, then stretch as you sew, and it falls perfectly into place. It meant I didn’t have to topstitch around the neckline to hold it in position.
This particular jersey took very well to the ballpoint needle, and I had no skipped stitches using the twin needle to finish the hem. It isn’t as dense as some of the stretch fabrics I’ve used, with a looser, soft feel to the touch.
This project has definitely inspired me get playful with motifs and appliqué — I have a bag full of random iron on motifs, so I’m going to have a brainstorm on how to get creative with these! Thanks to Matt Farci (Instagram @mattfarci) for taking these brilliant photos.
Next month I’m going all out in an attempt to replicate a couture menswear blazer. It could go very wrong... Wish. Me. Luck!