Posted on Tuesday the 15th August 2017 by ym.sews
Hi Minerva team!
I’m here to share with you a summery dress I’ve made using some gorgeous linen cotton Dressmaking Fabric
from Minerva. I’ve had my eye on this fabric for ages, and when my 3 meters arrived I just wanted to drape myself in it! I couldn’t bring myself to decide what to make with it (despite having a plan when I requested 3m of this lovely stuff), let alone cut into it. It is delightfully soft and drapey, and pre-washed wonderfully.
The indigo colour of the fabric is so vibrant, and the fabric has a nice weave and slight texture to it. My options included a matching 2 piece pair of Megan Nielsen Flint pants and Workroom Social Tate top (a free pattern, check it out…perfect for odd spare bits of fabric), or a By Hand London maxi dress. I settled on the maxi dress in the end, because let’s face it…I’m a little obsessed! If you follow me over on my sewing Instagram account you’ll know that whenever I have a special occasion, or even just a regular holiday, at least one maxi dress will get made! I’ve found a good combo with the By Hand London Kim dress bodice and Anna maxi skirt pieces in the past, and figured why try and change a winning combo?! To improve the pattern a little I traced off some new pieces, combining the skirt and bodice pieces to create a maxi piece for each of the panels (i.e. front panel, side front panel, side back panel, and centre back panel). This way I eliminated the waist seam, which allowed me to show off this bold print fabric even better. The skirt and bodice pieces of the Anna/ Kim dresses actually fit together quite nicely, though I had to change the size of some of the pieces at the waist when drafting my new panels.
I hope you’re all still following along ok! I tend to ramble when it comes to exciting sewing related things!
I semi-lined the dress using some leftover natural linen fabric from my stash (the lining ends at my waist). I used the lining method suggested in the Kim dress instructions which entailed constructing the lining and dress separately, then sewing the them right sides together around the neckline and armholes, and pulling the back panels through the sewed shoulder strap area. This just about worked (given I had to pull my whole back skirt panels through the shoulder straps!), and I think I would have had a lot more difficulty with this had my fabric been much heavier. Luckily I pulled them through with no problems leaving me with a cleanly finished neckline and armholes.
Finally I inserted a really long invisible zipper into the back seam, sewed the back seam up and hemmed my dress.
I’m really happy with the finished dress, it’s so swooshy and summery. I just need more occasions to wear it!
Until next month readers, I have a pretty fun project up my sleeve!