Hi again,

We finally have proper sunshine in Brighton this weekend, perfect timing for showing you my first summer dress of the year!

Following last month's Blair batwing tee from the first Named collection, this is the Reeta midi dress from the new Named collection, Playground.

The new collection 'received its inspiration from childhood’s carefree clothing, and the practicality and simplicity of children’s wear'. I love so many of the new designs - the Reeta dress really jumped out and I also have the Ansa dress on my to sew list this summer.

This dress is going to be such a summer staple for me - really easy to wear and comfortable with a little bit of a 70's vibe, I already have plans for another version!

For Reeta the recommended fabric is light or medium weight fabric with drape. I used this lightweight Viscose Crepe Fabric - the fabric is black with tiny white stars forming a bigger star pattern. This fabric is the perfect weight for this dress -  it is drapey without being too floppy, has enough body for the collar and sleeve cuffs, is lightweight without being sheer or see-through and being a viscose rather than polyester crepe means it will be breathable on a hot day.

I previously made a couple of versions of the Named Helmi shirt dress - here and here -  so I was confident enough about the sizing that I went ahead without making a toile.  I cut a size 42 for the shoulders and bust, grading out to a 44 at the waist and hip.

I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and the skirt falls a few inches above my ankles - I might have cut it slightly shorter but the order of construction means that you finish the front facings before sewing the sides together so it is a bit harder to just take a few inches off the length at the end.

The pattern is rated average. I found one or two places in the instructions where I had to take a few moments to work out what I needed to do - the instructions for sewing the yoke and collar into place were a particular head-scratching moment - I pinned it a few times before I got it right - but otherwise this came together quite easily.  

I skipped the front pockets and instead of using ribbon to create the casing I used a piece  of the main fabric, with edges turned under.  I also used a strip of the fabric to create the tie belt.

This is a really lovely versatile dress - the perfect dress it up or dress it down option for summer!

Thanks to Minerva Crafts again for all the lovely supplies!

Louise