For this month’s MCBN project, I selected this lovely ivory Crepe Fabric, with a swishy skirt in mind (the Pearson and Pope Annie skirt), along with a little of this brown lining for the pockets. (My top tip for avoiding show-through against your skin where you have double layers like facings and pockets is to make those inner layers from a skin-toned fabric if the main fabric is light.)
However... plans change!! The crepe is a really nice weight for blouses, but I didn’t think it was quite heavy enough for an unlined skirt. I could perhaps have underlined or lined the skirt, but (a) I’d had visions of a super floaty ivory circle skirt and I didn’t want to interfere with the drape and body of that skirt, and (b) I didn’t have enough lining for that anyway! So, I soon settled on making a blouse or top instead without too much deliberation.
I thought hard about what sort of blouse to make - I wanted to avoid one with facings for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I also wanted something simple and versatile. After a quick rummage through my pattern stash, I picked up the Colette Laurel pattern. No facings (check!), no fastenings (bonus!), and I’ve made it before so the pattern was already traced and cut out - perfect!
Laurel is a basic shift dress pattern but it comes with various options/views such as a blouse/top version, and a dress with gathered cuffs on the sleeves. There is also a free ebook with 9 more variations you can add to the base pattern, such as a tiny ruffled neckline, layout for a chevron striped version, or a keyhole opening.
(Photo credit: Colette Patterns)
The top came together quickly and easily, and the more I worked with the fabric the more I realised that it did actually have a really nice depth to it. It pressed beautifully and was stable to sew. It occurred to me that it would make a lovely (lined) dress or spring/summer pencil skirt. I bookmarked it to my “fabrics for future projects board for future reference!
The cuffs on the sleeve are a nice detail which adds a little interest to a basic top, without being ‘over the top’. If you haven’t made cuffs like these before, they are very easy to make - just a case of sewing some rectangles together and then gathering along the edge that is sewn to the end of the sleeve.
I bound the neckline with some contrasting bias tape, on a whim. Et voila!
Thanks for reading!
Michelle