Jazzing up Jumpers
Posted on Wednesday the 12th December 2018 by Red Sews
The post I have to share with you today is pretty appropriate for the season. Let’s face it, most of us are getting to that point in the year where we’d just like to hibernate (I can’t be the only one!) For sewists, that tends to mean reaching for all the snuggly, cosy fabrics.
It doesn’t get much cosier than this lovely fleece backed Sweatshirting Fabric I chose to use this month. It’s quite a heavy fabric with more body than a lot of sweatshirting fabrics, but that and the incredibly soft fleece lining make it perfect for this time of year.
In another surge of selflessness, I once again used this month’s fabric to make things for my girls (don’t worry, normal service will resume shortly). I paired the fabric with a new-to-me pattern, the Everyday Sweatshirt by Made. This kids pattern includes pattern pieces for a standard sweatshirt body, a tunic or a high low hem shirt, plus different sleeve options depending on how girly you’d like to be. There are pocket pieces for all the different versions too and the sizing goes from 12 months to 12 years.
So, on the face of it, a really useful, unisex kids’ pattern.
I had to grade between sizes for both my girls (both of them being very tall and slim for their ages). This was relatively straightforward in concept, given that all the pattern pieces are nested so you can just merge between them. However, I’m not sure that I was entirely successful; in my opinion, this pattern comes up short in the body and sleeve for the suggested heights.
I also decided to make slightly different versions; my eldest liked the look of the high low hem and normal sleeves, my 6 year old preferred the look of a standard sweatshirt with puffed sleeves. The bonus of this was that they were all entirely separate pattern pieces, so I just printed the pattern, stuck it together and cut out rather than tracing.
To make things a little more interesting to them, I chose an embroidered patch for each child in similar colours to each other. Both said they were iron on; past experience tells me this isn’t the most reliable method when applied to knit fabrics. I assembled each jumper as far as joining front and back and inserting the neckband then ironed the patch on where I thought it looked best. I then set my machine to a very short, straight stitch, turned the speed right down and sewed around the outline of each patch to secure it to the jumper.
I do think the sleeves are a little short on both so would make them longer another time; I’d also use ribbing for cuffs instead of the same fabric to give a little more stretch. But I absolutely love the look of the finished jumpers, and so do my girls!