Posted on Saturday the 13th January 2018 by Self Assembly Sewing
Happy new year folks!
It’s Emily from Self Assembly Required and I'm back again for the first of my blogger makes for the year!
This time I tackled the indie pattern company - I AM Patterns.
I AM is a French indie pattern company with a clean, modern aesthetic. They release their patterns in themed collections which can be easily identified by their names. Their most recent I AM WILD collection consisted of a lot of exotic animals…
This was my first time using this pattern company so I was very interested to see how they held up to other brands out there.
I chose the Juliette Blouse for my first foray into I AM Patterns. It’s a simple boxy blouse with cute little collar, short sleeves and a button up back. It only uses a metre of fabric so it’s the perfect make for when you’ve got that little bit of fabric leftover (or for when you want to use a more expensive fabric!).
I went with the Atelier Brunette Garance Cotton Lawn Fabric. (I love Atelier Brunette fabrics if you hadn’t realised – their quality and prints are superb!). It’s tomato red and covered in little white flowers. I chose little white Flower Shaped Buttons for the back which sound a bit naff but they were reminiscent of the white flowers in the print. I thought they’d either blend in perfectly or, at the very least, accent the floral print!
I made some changes to the pattern before I got started on this project. I did my usual fit alterations – grading out at the hip and a big bicep adjustment. I also lengthened it by an inch just in case. I’m always slightly wary when making clothes that hit at this length, though looking at the final garment I don’t think I needed the extra length.
I also made a rather big alteration to the collar. Not that it’s noticeable at all but I redrafted the collar piece. For some reason, they use a combined collar and collar stand thing which I just didn’t understand. I didn’t quite understand the pattern instructions regarding it either…
After a while of puzzling it over, I decided I’d be better off just drafting a new collar for myself. It’s really quite easy to do!
So I made new collar stand and collar pattern pieces (you just need to measure the length of the finished neckline and then it’s just drawing a couple of rectangles and some mild shaping). I kept the size and shape of it as close to the original as I could though!
I sewed it together like a regular collar, the only difference being that the upper collar comes in 2 pieces.
You can see that what I’ve done to the collar isn’t really noticeable and looks pretty much the same as the original which is what I was going for.
Here’s a little close up of the back. Those buttons worked out seriously well. I used a dark thread to sew them on to emulate the dark centres on the print itself. I love how it turned out! (Also please ignore the wrinkles – I really need to give this a good press!)
This is probably not the most weather appropriate make for January but it was just too cute to pass up!