Kwik Sew 3854 and a Little Red Dress
Posted on Monday the 22nd April 2019 by Milly Noel
I am incredibly happy to share these projects with you today. The pictures turned out quite well and I had such a difficult time narrowing down the selection. I am sneaking in two garments for my April makes. I did intend to make a pair of shorts and a cute little button-up blouse, but once I realized that I had just enough fabric to make a dress, it was all over. I just had to!
These shorts are View B of Kwik Sew 3854. I sewed up a combination of size medium and large. I didn’t do any fancy pattern adjustments. I graded the main pieces from a size medium at the waist to a size large from the hips down. I also added 2.5 inches of length but didn’t change anything else.
I love everything about these shorts. The Gabardine Fabric I used is slightly drapey which means these are nice and soft and incredibly comfortable. The buttons are some vintage ones that I’ve had in my stash for ages. They worked absolutely perfectly and I am so glad I didn’t get rid of them in my recent destashes. And doesn’t the t-shirt from my January MCBN project look adorable with these shorts?
After my previous attempts at trouser/short making, I was slightly nervous about making this pattern. The instructions and illustrations were extremely clear. I didn’t have any trouble understanding what I was supposed to be doing. Everything is neatly finished on the inside, and the buttons and buttonholes were FAR easier to do than fiddling with a zipper and zipper fly. I highly recommend this pattern. I don’t know that I’ll ever get around to make View A, but I think it would be cute in an extra flowy, drapey fabric!
Now onto the dress. As I mentioned above, I didn’t plan to make a dress with this Polka Dot Fabric until one afternoon I realized I was getting close to the deadline for this month’s project. I started pulling patterns out and plotting what I wanted to sew. And then it popped into my head: I should make another Deer and Doe Reglisse Dress! I did have to wiggle the pieces around a little and the skirt isn’t quite as full as the original design but it isn’t noticeable in the finished dress.
One of the things I noticed when I made the Reglisse dress previously was how low the arm holes where. Unfortunately I didn’t remember this detail until too late. I’d already cut out the dress pieces. I managed to somewhat work around it by gathering the armhole slightly at the shoulder. It gives it a bit of a puff sleeve look which I think is quite darling. It isn’t perfect, but at least it isn’t showing a huge bit of my undergarments every time I move about! I’ve made a mental note so hopefully I won’t forget for the next variation.
I made View B of the Reglisse dress. Which means I left off the tie collar and added the button band down the front. The pattern isn't designed to have functional button/button holes, but I went ahead and used some plastic snaps from my stash. If I make this version again I will definitely reduce the amount of interfacing that is used on the button bands. Following the pattern it makes things too stiff and I've found that the button band pucker weirdly. You can kind of see it in the pictures. I think it would be better to only interface half of the button band facing rather than the whole thing.
The last other thing I did differently was to use the elastic waistband instead of shirring with elastic thread. To be honest though, I’m not sure that I’m a huge fan of how the elastic looks. It is fairly wide and sits a little funny. I’m still debating whether I want to pick it out and switch to the shirred look. Probably not worth messing about with. I think it still looks quite cute and maybe it is just a matter of wearing the dress a couple times and getting used to it.