I have fallen in love with the recent rise in popularity of jumper dresses. Ever since Tilly and the Buttons released the Cleo Dress Sewing Pattern, it has been popping up everywhere! When I sewed it up recently, it wasn't very flattering on me. So I started looking around to try and find a different pattern. And then I saw Kwik Sew Sewing Pattern 4138. When I realized that Minerva Crafts had it in stock, I knew exactly what I would be sewing up for my March make.

I was actually rather worried that I wouldn't be able to get any pictures for this post! My husband is an accountant, and as such, this is his busiest time of year. We managed to find a time when he was home before the light was completely gone and snatched the opportunity to get a few photos. Hopefully for my April make we will have a little more time to get some really great pictures.

I have never used a Kwik Sew pattern before, so I was a little confused when I realized that they do not go by the standard number sizing that the rest of the Big Four pattern companies do. Instead, they use the small, medium, large, etc. format. By looking at the measurements and the different pattern pieces, I decided to make up a size large. I figured that if it ended up too big, I could always take it in a little!

The pattern is quite simple to sew up. It is mainly made up of a bunch of different rectangles or squares. I didn't use the skirt pattern pieces because I already had a well-fitting flared skirt pattern cut out. It worked much better to use what I already had than to waste paper tracing off something new. Switching out the skirt did cause one slight mishap. Originally, the jumper is supposed to have side seam pockets, but when I cut out my skirt pieces, I completely forgot about them and cut the skirt on the fold so that it only had one seam: the back seam. I toyed with the idea of adding more seams so I could insert the pockets, but in the end I decided to just go with it.

I was thrilled when I realized that I had more than enough gingham fabric to add a ruffle to the jumper skirt. I cut a super long rectangle that was twice the length of the skirt hem. Since I didn't want to deal with gathering the entire strip, I pleated it. Adding a ruffle is a lovely way to add a little flare to something without having to make any major pattern adjustments.

 

Another one of my favorite parts about this jumper is the buttons. I have never used Cover Buttons before. It was so much fun! I absolutely loved using the little button kit. There are two types of covered buttons that you can get: One that requires a little tool, and one that has little teeth around the inside rim of the button that you catch the fabric on before installing the back. Mine were the latter. It took me maybe five minutes to cover all three buttons. It did take a little bit to make sure there were no weird ripples on the front of the button, and catching the fabric on the teeth was a little fiddly, but they turned out wonderfully.

 

Overall I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I was a little worried that it would end up being unflattering, or wonky looking. I've worn it twice since I finished it and it is amazing. I think the skirt is flared just perfectly, the ruffle is adorable, and the bib fits exactly how I would like it to. I think the Gingham Fabric is cute, and I can't wait to make two or three nice blouses to wear under it!

 

This last picture is of the pillowcase I mentioned I wanted to make for my niece. It was so ridiculously easy to make. I sewed it up in about half an hour. I have made multiple pillowcases, so I decided to add a little flair to this one. I only had one metre of this Panda Fabric, but that was plenty for a standard pillowcase with a three inch ruffle. I cut out two eight inch strips the width of the fabric, sewed them together along the short sides, ironed it in half lengthwise, and gathered it up by raising the tension on my sewing machine as high as it would go and lengthening the stitches. (This is an easy and fast way to gather material if you don't need it to be extremely precise.) I basted the piping onto the pillowcase before attaching the ruffle, and then serged all the raw edges to neaten everything up. I can't wait to give it to my niece!

Have a jolly day!

 

~Emily