Lace Up Nettie Bodysuit
Posted on Saturday the 10th June 2017 by Self Assembly Sewing
Hello again everyone!
How did it get to be June already? I feel like time is just slipping through my fingers!
This month I planned to use this absolutely gorgeous Art Gallery Fabric that I’d had my eye on for a while.
I’d originally planned to use it for the Grainline Studio Driftless Cardigan but after I’d making a toile of that pattern I wasn’t too sure that this would be the best fit for the fabric.
So, it was back to the drawing board for me! In the end, I got my idea from feeling and playing with the fabric. This jersey is lovely and soft but it has a 4-way stretch and body to it with excellent recovery that I don’t often find in the knits that I buy. That brought to mind the one pattern I love to make but always find the fabric I use is just slightly wrong – the Nettie Bodysuit Pattern from Closet Case Patterns.
Close fitting knit patterns are always a little tricky because they rely so much on negative ease and making sure you are using the fabric with the correct stretch. That’s definitely something I’ve gotten wrong a lot in the past!
This time though, I was sure I was onto a winner!
I cut my standard size 10 (that’s a Canadian 10 by the way) and shortened the body slightly at the marked point – a must-do for us short ladies! The Nettie comes in a variety of different front and back necklines. I chose the scoop front and low back option.
Now the low back option is something I’ve pondered for a while but never made. It’s that whole I-think-it-looks-really-cool-but-I-don’t-want-my-bra-on-display thing… And I’m not someone who can go braless! (Support is very much essential here!)
So, I thought about ways to disguise the bra straps. There’s lots of options – adding a lace panel, a bow back (there’s a good tutorial for this one on the Tilly and the Buttons blog). But I wanted something a bit different and less, well, sweet.
In the end, I went with a corset style laced back! The idea was that the ribbon would somewhat hide the bra strap (if they’re the same colour anyway!).
I chose the easiest method possible to achieve this look – adding buttonholes in the neckband for the laces to thread through.
I marked on the neck band where my buttonholes would need to be and I made sure to add some knit interfacing to these areas before attaching the band to the neckline. This was to make the fabric more stable when sewing in the buttonholes. I chose to make 4 rows of buttonholes that are spaced 4cm apart and are 12mm long.
Here’s a close up of how those buttonholes look!
I used a relatively wide ribbon tape for my laces as I thought it would help “blend in” with the bra strap which was the whole point of doing this in the first place. I figured I could always change it in future if I wanted to though! I’m still working on getting the best tension for the ribbon. I think I’ve gotten it a bit tight in the photos below but that at least is an easy fix!
If I do this hack again I might use Metal Eyelets instead of buttonholes. They’d make for a much more polished finish!
This fabric was a perfect match for this pattern. I love how it turned out! Though I think I might wear it with less of a push-up bra next time…
I think it’s hidden the bra strap really well!