Posted on Wednesday the 9th May 2018 by Red Sews
I’m very excited to share this month’s make with you today. This is a pattern that’s been on my wish list for quite some time now so it’s great to have finally got the chance to try it out.
I first tried a Pauline Alice pattern last summer, when I made the Cami Dress in the most gorgeous Atelier Brunette fabric. I was impressed with the drafting (despite buying the pdf so having to go through the painful cutting and sticking process) so was pleased to get the chance to try another of her patterns.
This time around I chose the Aldaia Dress Pattern. This is a dress pattern that comes with three different skirts, three different necklines and three different sleeve options. Sounds pretty good, right? I also got the hard copy pattern instead of the pdf.
The pattern is a little pricey but you get a lot for your money. As well as the obvious potential of a pattern with so many options, the package itself is beautiful. It comes in a large cardboard sleeve which opens up to well printed pattern pieces, a clear instruction booklet and even a woven label to sew into your completed creation.
I chose this leaf print scuba to make the dress up in (I seem to be attracted to tropical prints at the moment) and spent ages dithering over which version of the pattern to with. I was drawn to all three necklines and, whilst I think that for summer the short straight skirt would feel too short, the other two were both very appealing.
In the end, it was the fabric that decided for me. I had added a couple of inches in length to the flared skirt pattern pieces (which I wouldn’t have done if I intended to make a more winter weight dress ) and there just wasn’t a way to lay all the pieces onto my 2 metres of fabric and make it all fit. So it was version B I went for, exactly as it is on the packet: straight skirt with side slits, sleeveless and a v neck, faux wrap bodice.
I graded up a size between bust and waist, which was actually really easy to do; the adjustment basically sits in the side front and back pieces. Which has the added bonus of meaning that next time I want to make this, I can use a different neckline with very little effort at all as the side bodice pieces are common across all three versions.
The fabric was great to work with. I made no attempt to pattern match because I really can’t see the point on a print like this. It was very stable to work with and got on well with both my overlocker and sewing machine. The work in this dress was all in tracing the pattern pieces out and cutting out; the actual sewing was really straightforward and was done in two short evenings of work.
And I love it! I think it’s the secret pyjama masquerading as a smart going out dress; it might even make it to a wedding we have lined up later this year!
Thanks for the supplies, Minerva!