Leopard Oslo Coat
Posted on Monday the 21st October 2019 by Lucky Sew and Sew
One of my ultimate ‘Dream Wardrobe’ items of clothing is a leopard print coat. Don’t ask me why exactly, but there’s just something edgy yet sophisticated about an animal print coat that I just dig. When the opportunity arose for me to test the most incredible leopard print wool blend coating by Lady McElroy, I couldn’t say ‘YES’ quick enough.
This amazing coating fabric comes in three shades, and I went for shade ‘Mocha’. I figured it would be leopard print, without being too in your face. Leopard print as a neutral is a winner. I was very pleased when the fabric arrived as it’s so lovely and soft for a wool. Wool coatings are notoriously itchy, but this fabric is really pretty soft, and lovely and thick too. I didn’t prewashed my fabric, as it’s a wool I figured it would be dry-clean only, and so I didn’t really have to prepare anything before diving into the project.
I decided upon the Oslo Coat by Tessuti because I’ve made it once before, and the pattern was ready to go. The first Oslo coat I made has been worn endlessly, I really love the shape and construction, so therefore it was a bit of a no-brainer for me to decide to choose the same design again.
Luckily I had a couple of metres of a lush rusty red lining fabric in my stash with no real plan for it. Plus, leopard + red = best combo ever. I love it when the sewing-cosmos aligns and a dream project comes together super easily.
There’s quite a few pieces to this coat pattern, and it takes a little while to cut and prep all the pattern pieces. It’s a good job that this coating is so dreamy to work with, it made an easy job out of something that could be made much more complicated. Considering it’s a heavy weight fabric, it was really easy to cut. Ironing on the interfacing was next on the agenda, which is quite a time consuming task, and not my favourite at all. It wasn’t too bad though as the leopard coating took the iron really well and there was no issues pressing it (on a smidge over the wool setting) during construction either.
I didn’t bother to use my walking foot, as although the coating is heavy weight, the lining was very light and fluid. It stitched together really well. I used a slightly longer stitch (3mm) to allow for the weighty fabric and I didn’t encounter any problems along the way.
It took me around 5 evenings to complete the sewing of the coat, probably spending around 1.5-2.5hrs each night. I don’t think that too long to spend on a coat, and I face I probably could’ve gone a little quicker, but I wanted to slow down, take my time and enjoy the project, which I feel like I did. The only conclusion came when bagging out the coat, but thankfully Tessuti saved the day with an in-depth blog post on how to do it, step by step. Once you get your head around the process, it’s pretty straight forward.
I decided against putting the buttons on my coat straight away. I don’t have any that match that well in my stash, and I’m not convinced if I will add them. I like wearing the coat open (and to be honest I could’ve done with a size bigger round the hips) and I think it suits the coat.
I am completely over the moon for my finished coat. The way the relaxed leopard print works with the pop of red satin lining is just....all the heart eyes! The fabric pressed beautifully during construction and I’m really in love with the outcome. I’ve been dreaming of owning a coat like this for the longest time and to be able to make one with my own hands is something very special indeed.