Lilac Is The New Pink
Posted on Saturday the 9th March 2019 by Self Assembly Sewing
Hello, hello! I’ve got something extra special in store for you today for my latest Blogger Network make!
Much like Orange was the new Black, lilac is definitely the new pink! And when I came across this gorgeous lilac Tencel Linen Blend Fabric, I knew I had to get it!
I got 4 metres of the stuff with the intention of making something fabulous but I didn’t just want to make another pretty dress out of it. Oh, no! I decided to go all out and make a two-piece suit! Well, suit might be a strong word for it. It’s more just a matching jacket and trouser combo…
For the jacket, I went with the Style Arc McKenzie Blazer!
I’d never used a Style Arc pattern before though I’d been aware of them. I really loved the style of this blazer – it’s a double breasted jacket with a really boxy shape and just straight out of the 80s! I figured now’s the time to try it out!
Because the jacket is quite oversized, I actually chose to make a size down. The Style Arc website is really helpful as it comes with a comprehensive list of the finished measurements which meant I could chose a size with the amount of ease I wanted. I also shortened the pattern a fair bit by taking an inch out at the waist and another ½ inch at the hem.
The instructions that come with the pattern are rather light and I’d really recommend them for intermediate to experienced sewers only. I ended up just having a brief read through and decided to rely on my own experience to sew it up rather than try to work out what to do from them.
That did mean I skipped doing the welt pockets since I got too lazy to look up how to do them! I ended up using the patch pockets and added a pocket flap to disguise them and I don’t regret it!
This is a nice light weight fabric for a summer jacket with a lot of drape which helped to prevent it from looking too retro! I used a cotton lawn lining underneath and added iron on interfacing to the collar and facings as instructed. I added an extra padding layer under the shoulders much like a shoulder pad. I used some thick low stretch jersey cut to fit which I then hand basted into place as I didn’t want to add too much bulk. It was just enough to add that little bit of structure!
For the trousers I used a Wear Lemonade pattern, Julietta. They’re a simple high waisted, peg legged, pleat front trouser with slant pockets and a fly zip.
Sizing was a little odd with these. I made the size as per the guide included but they ended up HUGE. I ended up taking two inches out of each side seam! I also chose to curve the waistband more by taking a wedge out of the centre back seam in order to counteract my sway back! Apart from that, they were surprisingly straightforward to sew up and I love how the look came together!
I don’t know if I’m brave enough to wear this out as a suit or if I’m just going to use them as separates. It’s just so much purple!!!