Linen Hinterland Dress
Posted on Thursday the 21st May 2020 by Sewstainability
This was one of those projects that didn’t know what it wanted to be. Do you ever have those? I ordered this fabric, planning to make a Sew Liberated Estuary Skirt. Then when it arrived I realised it was remarkably similar in colour to a button-up skirt I already have in my wardrobe. I don’t know why this didn’t click when I ordered it but it didn’t – doh!
The linen is quite weighty and feels good quality, it’s also the most beautiful aqua colour with lots of texture and slub, I completely fell in love. Not wanting to waste this amazing linen on a skirt that I might not wear (as I already have a similar one) I set about finding a new pattern for it – but nothing seemed good enough! Sometimes I do have a tendency to do this with fabrics I deem ‘special’ – I don’t want to cut into it to potentially waste it if I make the wrong thing, or even worse, make a mistake!
It is a decent weight for a linen, and my initial thought was to make a jacket, I even printed off the Helen’s Closet Pona Jacket but it just didn’t seem right as I wanted to make something I could wear all year round! So my search continued, I started to think that maybe trying to find a ‘special’ pattern for the special fabric was perhaps the problem, I shouldn’t be dismissing simpler patterns. Then I saw a beautiful version of the Sew Liberated Hinterland dress in this exact colour and I knew my problem was solved.
I have already made a longer length sleeveless button up version out of Atelier Brunette viscose for a previous Blogger Network make, and I also have made a short no-button version with sleeves out of cotton, but I haven’t made a button up version with sleeves so I decided to give that view a go. Don’t you love a pattern with multiple views you can mix and match?! I love getting lots of value out of a single pattern!
For this version, I made the size 12 (my measurements are 37 bust, 31.5 waist and 46 hip), the only adjustment I made was to the length – I am 5’7” and for this mid-length version I took two inches off the longer length pattern. I really like this length and when I make this pattern again I think I will stick to this, as I feel the longer length is a little too long and the short length is a little too short. I am like Goldilocks – this third version is juuuuust riiiiight!
The linen was a dream to sew, it is so stable that I was able to get a beautiful finish on all of the details. The ¾ length sleeves have a lovely cuff detail and the neckline is bias bound which I chose to decorate with a ‘You Can’t Buy This’ Kylie and the Machine Label – I just love including these in my makes for a bit of sass as well as a professional finishing touch.
The colour of this linen is quite unusual so I decided to go with a slightly contrasting button instead of trying to match it. The natural feel of the linen made me want to go for a natural feel for the buttons too, I think wooden buttons would look lovely but I decided to go for some shell buttons for a bit of sparkle.
This dress was an easy sew and I completely love the finished garment, I am going to wear this with trainers and sandals in the summer but think it will look equally lovely layered with a cardigan and tights in the autumn. I feel like I’ve nailed the year-round timeless look I was going for! Phew!
Until next time, happy sewing!